Ma & Morley
Ma & Morley Scholarship Program – Category: Indigenous
The Ma & Morley Scholarship Program was born to honour the life changing and enduring friendship between the successful Chinese entrepreneur Jack Ma and the respected Novocastrian Ken Morley through a program that aims to inspire, educate and cultivate the next generation of globally aware and socially conscious Australian leaders.
Applicable to: Indigenous students.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Commencing first year of study in any University of Newcastle undergraduate program in Semester 1, 2021
- Enrol in a minimum of 20 units
- Identify as an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander and be recognised as such within your community
- Provide required documentation
- Have leadership aspirations
- Demonstrated commitment to one or more Ma & Morley values
- Not be the recipient of another University of Newcastle donor-funded or donor-sponsored scholarship
- Not have completed another degree
- Must be available to participate in program activities, as per the key dates
3 of the 6 scholarships available in this category will be awarded to students who have completed a University of Newcastle enabling pathway like Newstep, Yapug and Open Foundation (or are set to complete in 2020).
Program opportunities and minimum level of participation across program stages*
|Stage 1||Stage 2||Stage 3||Stage 4|
|TBC February 2021 -Scholar Welcome Program||TBC February 2022 - 3 Day Leadership Program||Reasonable participation in action projects as agreed with the Program Coordinator||Reasonable participation in supporting stage 1-3 scholars as agreed with the Program Coordinator**|
|TBC March 2021 - Immersion pre-departure session 1||TBC April 2022 - Indigenous Cultural Immersion Day||**only relevant if still attending university and receiving scholarship payment|
|TBC April 2021 - Indigenous cultural immersion camp||TBC August 2022- Model United Nations assembly|
|TBC May 2021 - Immersion pre-departure session 2||TBC November 2022 - Ma & Morley Gala|
|TBC June - July 2021 - China immersion experience||Reasonable participation in enrichment program monthly activities as agree with the Program Coordinator|
|TBC November 2021 - Ma & Morley Gala|
|Reasonable participation in enrichment program monthly activities as agreed with the Program Coordinator|
* The China immersion may be substituted for an alternative globally-facing activity - to be confirmed by November 2020. All activities will be delivered subject to travel restrictions and health advice. Activities may need to be adapted, substituted or postponed, sometimes at short notice.
If documentation is not provided, your application will not be processed. All documents need to be uploaded in PDF, please note the scholarship application form contains a link to a free PDF converter if you do not have Adobe software.
- Confirmation of Aboriginality and a written reference made by an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community member who knows you in the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.
- A written personal reference from a responsible person. This person cannot be your relative but can include a higher education or VET educator, employer/manager/supervisor, doctor, specialist medical professional, lawyer, accountant, social worker, counsellor, religious or community leader, high school or college principal, counsellor, year advisor or career advisor.
- A one page written statement outlining: (1) what a globally aware and socially conscious leader means to you; and (2) things you have done in your home, school, work, or community that contribute to creating positive change in the world.
The scholarship currently provides a benefit of:
- Up to $50,000 for entire degree. Paid in lump sum payments of $5,000 each semester after the census date (pro-rata for students studying 30 or 20 units).
- Access to values based leadership program
- China immersion experience (subject to travel restrictions and health advice)*
- Life-long friendships and bonds
Selection of the scholar will be on the basis of an assessment of the application and supporting documents against the eligibility criteria. An interview process will follow for shortlisted candidates.
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Faculty of Science
Ma & Morley Scholarship Coordinator
Office of Alumni & Philanthropy
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 8764