Ma & Morley
Ma & Morley Scholarship Program – Category: Indigenous
The Ma & Morley Scholarship Program was born to honour the life changing and enduring friendship between the successful Chinese entrepreneur Jack Ma and the respected Novocastrian Ken Morley through a program that aims to inspire, educate and cultivate the next generation of globally aware and socially conscious Australian leaders
Applicable to: Indigenous students.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be an Australian Citizen Australian permanent resident, or holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa
- Commencing first year of study in any University of Newcastle undergraduate program in Semester 1, 2019
- Enrol in a minimum of 20 units
- Identify as an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander and be recognised as such within your community
- Provide required documentation
- Have leadership aspirations
- Demonstrated commitment to one or more Ma & Morley values
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship
- Not have completed another degree
If documentation is not provided, your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Confirmation of Aboriginality (Common Seal) and a written reference made by an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community member who knows you in the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.
- A written personal reference from a responsible person. This person cannot be your relative but can include a, higher education or VET educator, employer/manager/supervisor, doctor, specialist medical professional, lawyer, accountant, social worker, counsellor, religious or community leader, high school or college principal, counsellor, year advisor or career advisor.
- A one page written statement outlining: (1) what a globally aware and socially conscious leader means to you; and (2) things you have done in your home, school, work, or community that contribute to creating positive change in the world.
- A 300-400 short statement on what it would mean to you to represent your Indigenous Community as a Ma & Morley Scholar.
The scholarship currently provides a benefit of $10,000 per annum payable in lump sum payments of $5,000 each semester after the census date (pro-rata for students studying 30 or 20 units).
The scholarship is ongoing for the length of the scholars program.
Selection of the scholar will be on the basis of assessment of the application and supporting documents against the eligibility criteria. An interview process will follow for short listed candidates.
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Faculty of Science
Ma & Morley Scholarship Coordinator
Office of Alumni & Philanthropy
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 8764
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759