Your free pathway to uni
Open Foundation is a free pathway program offered at the University of Newcastle. It is designed for people who do not have the qualifications required for direct entry into an undergraduate degree program. You’ll develop the skills you need, not only to gain entry, but to find success at university and beyond.
Regardless of your background, university is for you.
About Open Foundation
To be eligible for admission, applicants must:
- be turning 17 or older in the year you begin study*
- be an Australian citizen or have Australian permanent residency status
- be residing in Australia for the duration of your studies
* Applicants turning 17 in the year of study require parental/guardian consent to proceed with enrolment.
You must comply with the level of English proficiency for the program you are applying for.
- Create or sign into your account
- Begin your application by selecting 'Get started!'
- Select your program, preferred location of study and when you would like to commence
- Provide 100 points of identification with certified copies of your documentation.
For application assistance, download our Step-by-Step Application Guide (PDF, 1.5MB).
Studying at university requires a significant commitment of your time. To help you balance your study with work, social and family commitments, we offer flexible delivery options.
Note: This tool is for information and reference only. To ensure you are enrolled with this selection, you will need to complete the application process here.
Your full-timepart-time options
Got a question about Open Foundation?
Why go to uni?
We're here to support you
What will I study?
Going to uni is a journey of discovery. You'll learn new things and have exciting new experiences. Uni is not like school, you're in charge of your own learning and can choose subjects that work best for you.
Here to support you with every step
We’ve been offering Open Foundation for nearly 50 years and our support services are as strong as ever. We have experienced academic and support staff available to ensure your transition to university is as smooth as possible.
Helping you find your path to uni
Meet Charlotte, an Open Foundation graduate 1:42
Hear about Open Foundation graduate Charlotte Kilminster's journey to study a Bachelor of Nursing.
Meet Peter, a pathways graduate 1:58
Hear about pathways graduate Peter Goldthorpe's journey to study a Bachelor of Mathematics/Bachelor of Science.
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.