Ma & Morley
Ma & Morley Scholarship Program – Category: Lǐng Jūn 领 军
Midnight, Sunday 22nd November
About Lǐng Jūn 领 军 Ma & Morley Scholarshoip
Lǐng Jūn 领 军
This phrase in the contemporary Chinese context means a leader or pioneer in innovation, politics and industries and captures the values of a Ma & Morley Scholar.
The 10 Lǐng Jūn Ma & Morley scholars will be further along their degree than the 20 scholars who are commencing their degree. The title evokes the qualities and attributes that these scholars will bring to the program.
The Ma & Morley Scholarship Program was born to honour the life changing and enduring friendship between the successful Chinese entrepreneur Jack Ma and the respected Novocastrian Ken Morley through a program that aims to inspire, educate and cultivate the next generation of globally aware and socially conscious Australian leaders.
Applicable to: continuing domestic undergraduate students who have completed a minimum of 80 units and have a minimum of 160 units to complete at the start of Semester 1, 2021.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa
- Be enrolled (minimum of 20 units) in any undergraduate program with the University of Newcastle at an Australian campus
- Have completed a minimum of 80 units and a minimum of 160 units to complete at the start of Semester 1, 2021
- Have leadership aspirations
- Demonstrated commitment to one or more Ma and Morley values
- Not have completed another degree
- Must be available to participate in program activities as per the key dates
- Important note for Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine students, this opportunity is only available to students entering their second year of studies in 2021.
Program opportunities and minimum level of participation across program stages**
|TBC February 2021 - Scholar Welcome Program|
|TBC March 2021 - Immersion pre-departure session 1|
|TBC April 2021 - Indigenous cultural immersion camp|
|TBC May 2021 - Immersion pre-departure session 2|
|TBC June - July 2021 - China immersion experience (travel restrictions allowing)|
|TBC November 2021 - Ma & Morley Gala|
|Reasonable participation in enrichment program monthly activities as agreed with the Program Coordinator|
** All activities will be delivered subject to travel restrictions and health advice. Activities may need to be adapted, substituted or postponed, sometimes at short notice.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. All documents need to be uploaded in PDF, please note the scholarship application form contains a link to a free PDF converter if you do not have Adobe software.
- A letter from a responsible person to support your personal character to be a Ma & Morley Scholarship Program scholar. This person cannot be your relative but can include a higher education or VET educator, employer/manager/supervisor, doctor, specialist medical professional, lawyer, accountant, social worker, counsellor, religious or community leader, high school or college principal, counsellor, year advisor or career advisor.
- A one page written statement outlining: (1) what a globally aware and socially conscious leader means to you; and (2) things you have done in your home, school, work, or community that contribute to creating positive change in the world; and (3) what impact you expect a global immersion experience to have on you and your future.
The China immersion will be offered subject to travel restrictions and health and safety advice. Despite our best efforts, the activity may need to be adapted, substituted or postponed. If the China immersion is not feasible, the next best appropriate alternative will offered, at the discretion of the University.
The planned 12 Day China immersion experience provides you with a life changing opportunity to travel with your fellow scholars to China. The trip will start by visiting the West Lake in Hangzhou where the Ma & Morley Story began. For the rest of the immersion experience, scholars will participate in interactive workshops around the values of the program at Alibaba Xixi campus and Jack Ma Foundation HQ, and get a sense of life and new ideas in China.
Students interested in becoming a Lǐng Jūn scholar must have a sense of adventure, and be resilient and courageous.
Flights, accommodation, experiences, and most meals are covered in China – or the equivalent will be covered during a substituted experience. There is also a small travel stipend of $600 for Lǐng Jūn scholars taking part in the China immersion.
In addition to the immersion experience, Lǐng Jūn scholars also receive access to the values-based leadership program with the rest of the scholars in the Ma & Morley Scholarship Program. Through this experience, you will develop leadership skills to help you create the change you want to see in the world and will help you build lifelong friendships and bonds.
For more information please review our Frequently Asked Questions.
Selection of the scholar will be on the basis of an assessment of the application and supporting documents against the eligibility criteria. An interview process will follow for shortlisted candidates.
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Faculty of Science
Ma & Morley Scholarship Coordinator
Office of Alumni & Philanthropy
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 8764