The Ma & Morley Scholarship Program is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. To give yourself the best shot at receiving a scholarship or immersion experience please read and follow the information below.
Important information before you apply
- Check your eligibility. Applicants may be eligible for more than one category but only need to submit one application. To apply for more than one category simply tick the categories you’d like to apply in the online application form.
- Be familiar with the information on this webpage. Be sure to check out the program origins, values, program structure; key dates and the experience of current Ma & Morley Scholars.
- Read the tips below and check out the Application Help Workshop video for tips on how to write your application.
3 step application process
- A one page written statement outlining: (1) what a globally aware and socially conscious leader means to you; and (2) things you have done in your home, school, work, or community that contribute to creating positive change in the world.
- Get a responsible person to complete a reference to support your application.
- Get the appropriate documents together.
Should you have any questions be sure to complete the form on this page or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. One page written statement
This is not a test of your academic or written skills. This is your chance to show us that you will be the right fit to join the Ma & Morley family. We are looking for students who want to change the world in a way that upholds the program's values and purpose.
Firstly we want to know about your ideas – specifically what a globally aware and socially conscious leader means to you.
And secondly we want to know about stuff you have done – specifically things you believe have contributed to creating positive change in the world.
We are looking for the small things you do in your home, school, work or community. These things can say a lot about the type of person you are.
Before you write your statement have a look at the values page of the program. We are looking to see if your ideas and the things you do demonstrate that you have the potential to uphold these values.
2. Get a responsible person to complete a reference to support your application
A letter from a responsible person to verify your circumstances and support your personal character to be a Ma & Morley Scholarship Program scholar. This person cannot be your relative but can include a higher education or VET educator, employer/manager/supervisor, community elder, doctor, specialist medical professional, lawyer, accountant, social worker, counsellor, religious or community leader, high school teacher, principal, counsellor, year advisor or career advisor.
We want this person to tell us their relationship to you, how long they have known you, and verify that you have the personal character to be a Ma & Morley Scholar. It will be important this person is informed about the scholarship program and has read the information on our website and including the values page.
3. Get the right documents together
*This only applies if you are applying for an Educational Disadvantage or Indigenous category of the scholarship.
Students applying for the Indigenous student’s category: will need to provide:
- Confirmation of Aboriginality and a written reference made by an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community member who knows you in the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.
- Establishing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander status within the University of Newcastle (PDF, 455KB).
Students applying for the Educational disadvantage category: this is for students who have/are one or more of the following: carer responsibilities, sole parent responsibilities, financial hardship, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition/disability or ongoing effects of abuse, Refugee status, Regional or remote disadvantage.
To see if you qualify for regional remoteness visit www.doctorconnect.gov.au/locator. Tick the box ASGS Remoteness Area and enter your address. All areas outside of the RA 1 are considered for this Scholarship.
You may experience one or more category of disadvantage, if so please provide evidence demonstrating this.
Provide copies of any documentary evidence supporting your claim that you are facing circumstances that may impact your study. For example; Centrelink income statement, health care card, registration with disability service, evidence of address in a remote area etc, medical certificate; Australian permanent humanitarian visa.
When completing your online application you will be asked about your educational circumstances which will include questions about Centrelink and Medicare. If you are applying for the Educational Disadvantage category your evidence will be automatically captured here.
In addition to uploading your one-page-statement and a letter from a responsible person, you may also like to upload any additional evidence of the community/school/volunteer etc. work you have done. This is optional.
Applications for 2022 will close Sunday 3 October 2021 at 11:59PM.
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.