Sexual assault, harassment and crisis support
Sexual assault and harassment support
Sexual assault and harassment are not tolerated at the University of Newcastle. We take a victim-led approach to ensure that those who have been subjected to sexual assault and/or harassment may find the support they need, whenever they need it.
If you have been sexually assaulted or are experiencing some other crisis, you may feel afraid and not know what to do. There are a range of free and confidential services available for everyone – regardless of sexual orientation or gender – to ensure you do not feel alone in this time.
If you find your studies are suffering, contact Campus Care for assistance in obtaining a letter of support, or to arrange additional time for assessments or rescheduling exams.
For further information on how reports to the University are managed, please visit our FAQs on Reporting.
Other services to contact may include:
- Lifeline 13 11 14 (available 7pm to midnight)
- Mental Health Line (NSW) 1800 011 511
- Suicide callback service 1300 659 467 (24hrs)
- NSW Rape Crisis Centre is the 24/7 telephone and online crisis counselling service for anyone in NSW - men and women - who has experienced or is at risk of sexual assault.
Phone: 1800 424 017
- Counselling - free confidential counselling sessions
- Online Counselling - confidential sessions with a counsellor via Skype, phone, or Blackboard Collaborate
- Health Services - Make a confidential appointment with a doctor at Callaghan Campus or Central Coast Campus
- Campus Care - (02) 4921 8600 Mon-Fri, 9am to 5pm