Staying fit and healthy is key to studying successfully, so the University provides a broad range of affordable medical support should you experience illness or injury.
In an emergency, students at Newcastle and Ourimbah can attend the Accident and Emergency Department of either:
- John Hunter Hospital (Lookout Road, New Lambton)
- Newcastle Mater Hospital (Edith Road, Waratah)
- Belmont Hospital (Croudace Bay Road, Belmont)
- Maitland Hospital (High Street, Maitland)
- Gosford Hospital (Holden Street, Gosford)
- Wyong Hospital (Pacific Highway, Kanwal)
If you need an ambulance, call 000.
Campus health services
Students and staff at both Newcastle (Callaghan) and Central Coast (Ourimbah) campuses have access to medical centres staffed by doctors and registered nurses.
Patients covered by Medicare are bulk billed. You will need to present your Medicare card and a current Centrelink Health Care Card (if applicable) at consultations.
International students covered by Allianz Global Assistance, Medibank Private, ahm and nib are directly billed to their insurer, so there will be no out-of-pocket expenses for consultations – however be sure to bring documentation of your coverage.
While some services – such as medical examinations and certain immunisations – are not covered by Medicare or insurance, no student will be refused urgent medical care because of inability to pay at the time.
Appointments are necessary (except for emergencies) and usually last 15 minutes. If you think you need more time, please tell the receptionist when making your appointment. Please arrive 10 minutes early for your first appointment to complete the paperwork.
- Phone: (02) 4921 6000
- Open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, both during semester and recess.
- Located on Level 1, Student Services Centre at the Newcastle campus at Callaghan.
- Appointments can be made by phone or visiting the medical centre in person.
- There is one clinic for urgent problems each morning, which are best booked by telephone between 8.30am - 9am as they fill up quickly.
- This practice provides 24-hour care for our patients through GP Access, which operates after 6pm on weekdays, on weekends from 12pm Saturday, and public holidays.
- On Saturday mornings you can attend HealthSure Medical Centre, Jesmond by phoning (02) 4951 2700.
Central Coast (Ourimbah)
- Phone: (02) 4348 4060
- Open Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9am to 5pm.
- Located in the Student Support Unit on the Central Coast campus (adjacent to the library).
- Appointments can be made by phone or visiting the Health Service.
- Some appointments are kept for emergencies. If you feel you need to see a doctor urgently, please discuss it with the nurse.
Located on the ground floor of the Shortland Building, below the GT Bar, the Callaghan Campus Pharmacy is fully stocked with all your pharmaceutical needs.
The pharmacy also offers services such as:
- free on-campus prescription delivery service
- free herbalist consultations.
- Open 9:00am to 5:30pm Monday to Friday (all year except university shutdown over Christmas).
- Open 8:30am to 5:30pm During semester.
- (02) 4968 8070 or University extension 64295
- Fax your script to (02) 4968 8071 for pick up or delivery.
- Scan and email your script for pick up or delivery.
Visit the Callaghan pharmacy website
The student teaching clinic, located at the Central Coast campus (Ourimbah), provides a free service for University students and staff, as well as Health Care Card holders. Other patients are charged a small fee.
The Clinic operates during semester time, with registered oral health professionals, such as dentists and dental therapists, providing supervision.
Services offered include check-ups, cleaning, simple fillings and preventative treatments, such as fissure sealants.
Make a booking
- Phone: (02) 4348 4164 or (02) 4348 4113
- Location: The University of Newcastle, Central Coast Campus, Sciences Labs 1, 10 Chittaway Road, Ourimbah NSW 2258.
- Bookings are essential, although no referral is required.
Located on the second level of The Forum Sports and Aquatic Centre, Callaghan campus, NuMoves is staffed by trained physiotherapists, many of whom are involved in teaching the University’s physiotherapy program.
More than just physiotherapy, NuMoves also provides massage, Pilates, exercise rehabilitation and orthotic prescription.
- Phone: (02) 4921 6879
- Fax: (02) 4921 7371
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit the NuMoves Physiotherapy website
The University has over 100 qualified first aid officers across Newcastle, City precinct, Central Coast and Sydney locations, as well as at other University-staffed sites.
First aid officers
- provide first aid assistance to staff, students and visitors
- ensure first-aid kits are stocked
- report incidents and list first aid provided through the Online Incident Report Form
- provide assistance in the event of an evacuation
A single blood donation provides life-saving treatment for three people – but it can be difficult to find the time to get to a donation centre.
The Australian Red Cross Blood Service Donormobile makes regular visits to the University, giving you a hassle-free chance to give this most precious gift (and score a free drink and snack afterwards!)
Hunter Area Pathology Service (HAPS) has a collection centre located on Level 1 of the Student Services Centre, Callaghan.
- Phone: (02) 4921 7444
- Fax: (02) 4921 5610
Getting your heart rate up, your blood pumping and feeling the burn are great ways to stay healthy and keep your mind sharp.
The University has excellent gyms and sporting facilities at both our Callaghan and City campuses in Newcastle, as well as on the Central Coast, with discount memberships for students. There is also a free 5km park run at Callaghan every Saturday.
10 Chittaway Road, Ourimbah
Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 8:00am to 6:00pm
Friday 8:00am to 12:00pm
Closed on Tuesdays in Semester One, 2019 for Faculty use and closed during semester breaks
Phone: (02) 4348 4260