Discover is a staff learning and development portal where you can access a range of blended learning and development courses, programs and certifications and manage your own compliance and professional development.
You will be able to:
- Access and manage your professional and career development
- Find a range of courses through the staff learning and development catalogue
- View up and coming training on the calendar of events
- Self-enrol onto face-to-face workshops and manage your own bookings
- Access blended learning options including face-to-face, e-learning, ebooks, videos etc.
- Easily track and maintain your learning records
- Know the compliance requirements for your role and keep yourself up to date through automated notifications and reminders
- Access learning through your mobile device anytime, anywhere.
- Managers are able to view team members on Discover
- Ensure a smooth transition for new staff through UONboard orientation program
- Managers can signpost staff to relevant compliance based learning
- Managers are able to view team member compliance progress and training progress, supported by automated notifications
- Support staff career development planning through range of courses and programs
- Reduced paper authorisation for courses, now managed online.
New staff will be directed to Discover via their offer letter of employment – where a URL link will be provided to staff once they have signed and returned their offer letters. Onboarding officers and supervisors will need to provide new staff with their Uni-ID, set up passwords and accept IT account Terms and Conditions to access Discover. Once accessed new staff will be directed to the UONboard Induction program that has been established to navigate new staff through their required learning as part of the University orientation program.
Staff can access Discover via the following URL:
You can also find Discover through a range of links on the UON webpages.
1. Performance and development webpage
2.Work health and safety webpage
3. New staff webpage
4. Systems and tools
Step 1: Open a browser and go to https://discover.newcastle.edu.au or click on any of the Discover links through UON webpages.
Step 2: Click on “UON staff login”
Step 3: Use your Uni-ID and password to login to Discover
You will arrive on the Discover homepage, with your name in the top right hand and bottom left of screen.
Watch the video for step-by-step instructions.
A range of courses and programs will be available on Discover. Initial launch focuses on the following three areas, namely: Orientation for new staff, Health and Safety, and Research.
Now that the portal has been set up, it is anticipated that courses will continuously be added to Discover and it will grow to accommodate your learning and development needs.
Discover offers an e-learning platform to host and track online learning. E-learning courses have been developed and / or purchased for staff to support professional and career development.
Watch the video for step-by-step instructions.
Under the 'My Learning' tab you can click on 'Required Learning'. Compliance courses will appear here and are unique to you based on your role, work requirements, location, faculty and/or division and have been assigned for you to complete. H&S induction is required to be completed by all staff to support your health and safety in the workplace.
Compliance courses will require renewals (timeframes will determined by each course). Automated email notifications will be sent to you and your manager as prompts and reminders.
New staff members will be signposted to required learning as part of the new UONboard orientation program and will be guided through the required learning as part of UON orientation program.
There may be further courses that are not required based on legislation but are still required as best practice training. These courses will be signposted to you where required via leads in H&S, Governance, IT etc. as well as managers / supervisors. You can also browse to find courses and self-enrol where required.
Discover sends out email notifications to confirm bookings, cancellations and reminders for programs that are due, e.g. H&S induction. This is especially beneficial for compliance and required learning, when automated email notifications will be sent to you and your manager as reminders of when courses are due or overdue. Managers and supervisors will be able to view team progress at any time under the 'My Team' tab.
Automated emails confirming enrolment onto a course will also be sent to you and your manager. It is regarded as good practice for managers and supervisors to be informed of your training activity and replaces the manual task of paper applications and manager approvals for courses and programs.
Please note, email notifications have been restricted so as not to inundate you and your manager.
Yes you will be able to see course bookings in your MS Outlook calendar.
Once you have enrolled in a workshop, you will be emailed a calendar entry as an attachment in MS Outlook. Just double-click the attachment and accept the calendar entry like any other meeting.
There are a number of ways you can track your learning in Discover.
Under the 'My Learning' tab you will see the following:
- 'Required Learning' you can see courses and programs you are required to complete.
- 'Courses' you can see all active courses assigned or enrolled in.
- 'Programs' you can see all active programs assigned or enrolled in.
- 'Bookings' you can see future and past bookings including workshops that are up and coming and those that have been completed.
- 'Record of Learning' you can see all courses enrolled in, pending and completed based on course type and completion requirements.
You can see up and coming face-to-face workshops or browse future events scheduled in the coming months.
You are able to enrol in workshops by clicking on the event in the calendar and following a few simple steps.
Discover is a staff learning and development platform and can host a range of courses and programs from face-to-face, e-learning, and online learning developed internally or through external providers. If you administer or manage training for your respective field or area, we can provide you with devolved access to Discover, providing you with an easy tool to manage your learning.
If you would like to host your courses in Discover, please request further information and express interest via the Discover email: discoverLMS@newcastle.edu.au
If you encounter any technical difficulties please contact IT Service Desk on 17000.
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.