Positional email addresses
In addition to your UoN email address, there may be times when you need a positional email address such as:
- a person's role (eg IT-Director@newcastle.edu.au)
- an organisational unit (eg IT-Infrastructure@newcastle.edu.au)
- a particular service (eg firstname.lastname@example.org)
- a marketing address for a conference or project (eg ITAsiaemail@example.com, ITfirstname.lastname@example.org)
You might also request a positional email address to:
- ensure business continuity when positions are filled by new, or 'acting' staff,
- enable more than one person to access email, eg a team responding to enquiries, or an administrative assistant accessing their supervisor's email, or
- as a contact point not tied to any particular individual
To request a positional email address please click here. When completing this request please keep the naming standards in mind (see below).
Using a positional email address
When you request a positional account you will be designated as the 'owner'. As the owner, you can manage additional user access by using security groups .
You can switch from your own UNify account to the positional account inbox and folders to view, send and receive emails.
- Adding a positional account (Windows)
- Adding a positional account (Mac OS X)
- Adding permissions to a positional shared account (Windows)
- Mailbox sharing and permissions (Mac OS X)
- Setting up an auto reply from a positional account
Naming standards for positional email addresses
To ensure our positional accounts are meaningful, the following naming conventions will be applied:
- maximum of 64 characters before @ and only use alphabetic, numeric and hyphen (-) characters
- all addresses to end in @newcastle.edu.au
- format to be Department-purpose (eg ITServices-Payments@newcastle.edu.au not Payments-ITServices@newcastle.edu.au)
- if the purpose is University wide, email@example.com is acceptable.
- if the address is a general address for a particular department, firstname.lastname@example.org is acceptable.
- standard abbreviations to be used across the organisation for organisational units such as Faculties and Divisions
- standard abbreviations to be used across the organisation for position titles (eg PVC not ProVC)