Industrial grievances

Sometimes staff may have an issue in relation to the interpretation, application or operation of our enterprise agreements or the National Employment Standards.

In most cases this issue should first be discussed between the staff member and their manager or supervisor. The staff member may also ask that a union representative or support person attend. If you do not feel comfortable in having this meeting alone you can also ask a support person to attend, usually your HR Business Partner (PDF, 36KB).

If the issue cannot be resolved or the union raises a dispute following this meeting, representatives from both UON and the relevant union will meet to attempt to resolve it. Managers will usually be called to attend this meeting. Where a union is involved, managers should advise their HR Business Partner or Employee Relations immediately.

If there is still no resolution it will be referred to a Disputes Committee, and again if no agreement then the dispute may be referred to the Fair Work Commission or a member of the Industrial Relations Commission of New South Wales.

Our Employee Relations Team and your Human Resources Officer or Advisor will help managers and supervisors through the process of industrial grievances. For more information about the process see the enterprise agreements.

The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.