Postgraduate fees and costs

Most postgraduate programs at the University of Newcastle are full fee-paying programs. However, you only pay for the postgraduate courses you take in the term that you attempt them, which means you don’t have to make an upfront financial commitment to the entire program.

Fees differ from program to program, and fees for individual courses can vary too, so please check the details of your specific postgraduate program by using the program handbook available on the degree’s dedicated webpage. You can access your chosen degree’s page from our postgraduate degrees page.

It's also a good idea to review both your programs' requirements and course availability before choosing your courses.

All course fees are reviewed annually with updated fee information made available to students prior to commencement of re-enrolment for the next calendar year. For a complete overview of Program Fees, current year coursework fees and associated conditions visit our postgraduate fee information page.

Application fee

It is free to complete an application for programs that offer direct entry through the University of Newcastle. A fee only applies for applications that must be made via the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC). This includes:

Australian citizens and Permanent Humanitarian Visa holders

Please make sure you review the information provided by the Student Fees and Scholarships office.

Eligible domestic students can apply for an interest-free loan from the Australian Government through the FEE-HELP loan scheme if you satisfy certain conditions. This means you only start paying your course fees once your salary is at the minimum level to start making payments. FEE-HELP does not cover accommodation and general living expenses.

To be eligible for FEE-HELP, you must be:

  • an Australian citizen who will undertake in Australia at least one unit (course) of study contributing to your program; or
  • the holder of a permanent humanitarian visa who will be resident in Australia for the duration of the unit; or
  • a New Zealand Special Category Visa holder who meets certain arrival and long-term residency requirements and who will be residing in Australia for the duration of their program.

New Zealand citizens and Australian permanent residents are not eligible for FEE-HELP. Non-award courses are also not eligible for FEE-HELP.

Students must apply for FEE-HELP by submitting an electronic Commonwealth assistance form (eCAF) via the MyHub system at the time of enrolment. The submission of an eCAF is related specifically to a single program of study. Students must complete a new eCAF upon admission to any new program (including moving from a Graduate Certificate to a Masters, or readmission to a program in which you have previously been enrolled). The eCAF must be completed prior to census date in any relevant term. Failure to complete an eCAF will mean that you will be responsible to pay the tuition fees to the University.

More information on the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) can be found at the Study Assist website.

Non-award study

You can choose to study individual courses without enrolling into a degree, which is called non-award study. Non-award courses are not eligible for FEE-HELP and you must pay all tuition fees by the census date.

Visit our non-award study page for more information.

Commonwealth supported places

A number of our postgraduate programs offer Commonwealth supported places (CSP), which means eligible students will be charged at the Commonwealth supported rate of student contribution instead of as full fee-paying students. Eligible students can still defer their student contributions by accessing HELP.

Programs with CSPs are:

Please note that this list is subject to change.

Learn more about postgraduate Commonwealth-supported student places.

Financing your studies

If your studies are related to your current work activities, out-of-pocket course fees may also be tax deductible. More information can be found on the Australian Taxation Office website.

The University also has a number of scholarships available to both domestic and international postgraduate students.

Postgraduate scholarships

Student Services and Amenities Fee

All students must pay a Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) to assist with the funding of non-academic student services and amenities available to students of the University.

Students who want to take up the SA-HELP loan option to defer payment of their SSAF will need to complete a separate electronic Commonwealth assistance form (eCAF) as part of the enrolment process.

If the form is not submitted by census date, you will need to pay the fee upfront.

More information regarding SSAF can be found at the Students Services and Amenities Fee and Study Assist websites.

The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.