Studying at the University of Newcastle will connect you with the top tier of researchers, opening up incredible opportunities to advance your career, pursue breakthrough discoveries and solve the world’s most formidable problems.
All research degree candidates require a supervisor. It is recommended you start actively searching for potential supervisors in your chosen field before you submit your application.
You can search for a supervisor by researcher name, area of expertise or by research centre name.
PhD Pathway Stories
Our PhD candidates conduct their research across a number of different pathways, each in pursuit of achieving real-world impact. With the support of exceptional supervisors and world-class facilities, they become life-ready graduates who are community-minded, resilient and ready for work.
PhD scholarships and opportunities
Ramifications of Climate Change on Microbial Ecology in the Pacific Ocean
Microbial biodiversity in the tidal zone is responsible for important biological processes such as geochemical cycling and carbon sequestration. Climate…
Microbial Genomics for Assessing the Health of Water Resources
Disruption of the chemical and physical balance of aquatic microbial communities can result in the proliferation of harmful organisms, including…
Optimising the Implementation of an Evidence-Based Resistance Training Program in NSW Secondary Schools
Research project background National and international guidelines recommend children and adolescents do an average of 60 minutes per day of…
- 21 Feb Semester 1 - Commences
- 04 Mar Semester 1 - Last day to add a course through myHub without approval
- 18 Mar Semester 1 - Census Date
- 11 Apr Semester 1 - Recess
- 15 Apr Good Friday
- 16 Apr Easter Saturday
- 17 Apr Easter Sunday
- 18 Apr Easter Monday
- 25 Apr ANZAC Day Public Holiday
- 03 Jun Semester 1 - Concludes
- 06 Jun Semester 1 - Examinations
- 13 Jun Queen's Birthday Public Holiday
- 01 Jul Semester 1 - Fully Graded date
- 18 Jul Semester 2 - Commences
- 29 Jul Semester 2 - Last day to add a course through myHub without approval
- 12 Aug Semester 2 - Census Date
- 19 Sep Semester 2 - Course Experience Survey
- 26 Sep Semester 2 - Recess
- 03 Oct Labour Day Public Holiday
- 28 Oct Semester 2 - Concludes
- 31 Oct Semester 2 - Examinations
- 25 Nov Semester 2 - Fully Graded Date
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.