Studying at the University of Newcastle will connect you with the top tier of researchers, opening up incredible opportunities to advance your career, pursue breakthrough discoveries and solve the world’s most formidable problems.
All research degree candidates require a supervisor. It is recommended you start actively searching for potential supervisors in your chosen field before you submit your application.
You can search for a supervisor by researcher name, area of expertise or by research centre name.
PhD Pathway Stories
Our PhD candidates conduct their research across a number of different pathways, each in pursuit of achieving real-world impact. With the support of exceptional supervisors and world-class facilities, they become life-ready graduates who are community-minded, resilient and ready for work.
PhD scholarships and opportunities
Yanhiyanirra (come to one’s assistance) Quit Pack to Support Smoking Cessation among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People who Smoke: a Feasibility Study.
This PhD program funded by the National Heart Foundation and in partnership with Quitline, will test the feasibility of a…
Efficient Geotechnical Risk Management of Scenic Rock Cliffs
We invite applications for a fully funded PhD scholarship for our new Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery Project on accurate…
Evaluating a Systems Approach to Integrated Workplace Health and Wellbeing
The PhD program of research is a unique collaboration between the National Centre Of Implementation Science (NCOIS), a NHMRC Centre…
- 04 Oct Labour Day Public Holiday
- 05 Oct Semester 2 - Resumes
- 29 Oct Semester 2 - Concludes
- 01 Nov Semester 2 - Examinations
- 26 Nov Semester 2 - Results released
- 31 Dec HDR Semester 2 - Concludes
- 21 Feb Semester 1 - Commences
- 04 Mar Semester 1 - Last day to add a course through myHub without approval
- 18 Mar Semester 1 - Census Date
- 11 Apr Semester 1 - Recess
- 15 Apr Good Friday
- 16 Apr Easter Saturday
- 17 Apr Easter Sunday
- 18 Apr Easter Monday
- 25 Apr ANZAC Day Public Holiday
- 03 Jun Semester 1 - Concludes
- 06 Jun Semester 1 - Examinations
- 13 Jun Queen's Birthday Public Holiday
- 01 Jul Semester 1 - Fully Graded date
- 18 Jul Semester 2 - Commences
- 29 Jul Semester 2 - Last day to add a course through myHub without approval
- 12 Aug Semester 2 - Census Date
- 26 Sep Semester 2 - Recess
- 03 Oct Labour Day Public Holiday
- 28 Oct Semester 2 - Concludes
- 31 Oct Semester 2 - Examinations
- 25 Nov Semester 2 - Fully Graded Date
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.