Studying at the University of Newcastle will connect you with the top tier of researchers, opening up incredible opportunities to advance your career, pursue breakthrough discoveries and solve the world’s most formidable problems.
All research degree candidates require a supervisor. It is recommended you start actively searching for potential supervisors in your chosen field before you submit your application.
You can search for a supervisor by researcher name, area of expertise or by research centre name.
PhD Pathway Stories
Our PhD candidates conduct their research across a number of different pathways, each in pursuit of achieving real-world impact. With the support of exceptional supervisors and world-class facilities, they become life-ready graduates who are community-minded, resilient and ready for work.
PhD scholarships and opportunities
Symmetry is a fundamental organising principle in mathematics and human endeavour. This project aims to advance our knowledge of zero-dimensional…
Intelligent Grinding Mill Simulation and Design
Comminution is a key operation in mineral processing that utilises grinding mills to reduce the size of ore for further…
Machine Learning for Grinding Mill Design Optimisation
This project aims to apply machine learning in combination with programmable mechanical design modelling software to automatically optimise grinding mill…
- 29 Oct Semester 2 - Concludes
- 01 Nov Semester 2 - Examinations
- 26 Nov Semester 2 - Results released
- 31 Dec HDR Semester 2 - Concludes
- 21 Feb Semester 1 - Commences
- 04 Mar Semester 1 - Last day to add a course through myHub without approval
- 18 Mar Semester 1 - Census Date
- 11 Apr Semester 1 - Recess
- 15 Apr Good Friday
- 16 Apr Easter Saturday
- 17 Apr Easter Sunday
- 18 Apr Easter Monday
- 25 Apr ANZAC Day Public Holiday
- 03 Jun Semester 1 - Concludes
- 06 Jun Semester 1 - Examinations
- 13 Jun Queen's Birthday Public Holiday
- 01 Jul Semester 1 - Fully Graded date
- 18 Jul Semester 2 - Commences
- 29 Jul Semester 2 - Last day to add a course through myHub without approval
- 12 Aug Semester 2 - Census Date
- 26 Sep Semester 2 - Recess
- 03 Oct Labour Day Public Holiday
- 28 Oct Semester 2 - Concludes
- 31 Oct Semester 2 - Examinations
- 25 Nov Semester 2 - Fully Graded Date
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.