Types of tuition fees

Your tuition fees will vary depending on what level of education you are receiving, as well as factors such as whether you are receiving Commonwealth assistance, are an international student, or are studying part time.

Most students will need to pay the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) as well.

Some students must pay their fees in full up front, however other students may have a range of options for payment or deferral of fees.

For more information email fees@newcastle.edu.au.

If you have a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP), your study at university is supported by the Australian Government.

You are required to make a student contribution to your fees, which varies depending on what you are studying. Depending on your citizenship status, you can pay this amount up front, or defer payment of your contribution if you are eligible for a HECS-HELP loan.

All new domestic undergraduate students are Commonwealth supported, with a smaller number of places in the University’s postgraduate degrees eligible for this support as well.

Commencing students refers to student starting their studies in 2021. This includes students whom have transferred degrees and are commencing their new programs from 2021.

Continuing students refers to those students who commenced in their current program prior to 2021.

Please note: There may be exceptions to student contribution amounts for some specific courses listed in the tables above. This occurs as some courses may fall into different Bands and are charged accordingly.

Fees for domestic full-fee paying students vary depending on what courses you are studying, as well as how many courses you are studying.

You can either pay your fees to the University directly or, if you are eligible, apply for a FEE-HELP loan from the Australian Government.

Domestic full-fee paying course fees:

Domestic program fees:

Fees for international students vary depending on which courses you take to complete your program of study.

Your fees need to be paid to the University in full by their due date, and you can view and pay the fees by logging into myHub through myUON.

If you are on a student visa and experiencing genuine and unexpected financial hardship, you may be eligible for a payment plan, which would allow you to pay the balance of your fees in monthly instalments with the full amount due to be paid prior to the end of the term of study. Applications for payment plans must be submitted online before census.

International course fees:

International program fees:

Due to the current global health pandemic we are temporarily not offering payment plans for International Students in Semester 2 or Trimester 3, 2020. For information regarding available financial assistance for International students, please email Fees.

Both domestic and international students completing a higher degree by research (HDR) can receive a tuition fee scholarship under the Australian Government's Research Training Program (RTP).

The RTP covers tuition fees and a stipend that provides a base annual living allowance of AUD $27,596 (2019 rate, indexed annually). You can also apply for allowances to cover costs such as relocation and health care.

RTP funding is limited to:

  • four years full-time (or part-time equivalent) for a PhD candidate.
  • two years full-time (or part-time equivalent) for a Research Masters candidate.

Higher Degree Research course fees:

Higher Degree Research program fees:

The University also offers a range of scholarships for HDR students.


Non-award students are required to pay your full fees to the University up front.

This is the case for all non-award students, regardless of whether you are a postgraduate, undergraduate or an international student.

Fees for non-award study cannot be deferred.

The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.