How do I pay?

There are a range of ways to pay your fees at the University of Newcastle, depending on your level of study and your designation as a student.

You can pay upfront, using facilities such as myHub or our online payment portal, or via external options such as BPAY.

Eligible students can receive payment assistance and loans from the Australian Government, which are repaid through the taxation system.

These loans attract no real interest, although they are indexed each year according to changes in the Consumer Price Index.

All your bills can be viewed at myHub on the Account Enquiry tab.

Government assistance

The first step in receiving Government assistance is to fill in the Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF).

To successfully fill in the form, you will need your Tax File Number (TFN) or a Certificate of Application for a TFN if you’ve applied for one but haven’t received it yet.

You can find your eCAF by logging into myHub through myUON, under the My Finances tab.

You will also need to be either an Australian citizen, a permanent humanitarian visa holder or a New Zealand Special Category Visa holder who meets the long-term residency requirements.

If you are enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place (CSP), you can apply for HECS-HELP to pay your student contributions.

FEE-HELP loans assist full-fee paying students to fund part or all of their studies.

For 2020, most students have a HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP loan limit of $106,319, although it’s $152,700 for medicine, dentistry and veterinary science students.

SA-HELP assists students to pay some or all of their Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF).

The debt is accumulated as part of your HELP debt, although you don’t need to have applied for any other HELP loan to take out an SA-HELP loan.

If you are in a CSP and undertaking studies overseas, you can apply for an OS-HELP loan to help pay for costs such as travel, accommodation and study expenses.

You can apply for two OS-HELP loans in your lifetime, with one loan granted per six-month study period (eligibility criteria apply).

Combined HELP Loan Limit

On 1 January 2020, the Australian Government introduced the combined HELP loan limit. The combined HELP loan limit is a cap on the amount you can borrow from the Government to cover the costs of your University tuition fees. This HELP loan limit will increase annually inline with the Consumer Price Index (CPI).

In 2020 the HELP loan limit will be $106,319 for most students. The limit for students studying medicine and (subject to passage of legislation) some aviation courses will be $152,700.

Renewable HELP Balance

From 1 January 2020, you can top up your HELP loan balance by making repayments on your debt. While you cannot increase your HELP loan limit, any repayments you make on your HELP debt will credit your available HELP balance, up to your applicable HELP loan limit.

What will be included in my combined HELP Loan limit?

  • Any existing and new FEE-HELP borrowed.
  • Any new HECS-HELP (where the census date is after 1 January 2020)

Any HECS-HELP accumulated prior to 1 January 2020, any SA-HELP and any OS-HELP  previously accumulated will not be included in the new combined HELP loan limit, however they will continue to remain as part of your overall HELP debt.

Pay upfront

There are a range of ways to pay your fees upfront to the University:

  • Online through myHub.
  • Online by visiting UON online payment portal.
  • BPAY – the biller code and reference number can be found on your bill in myHub.
  • Australia Post allow you to make payments online, over the phone or in person at a branch.

The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.