Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF)
The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) helps to pay for campus services and amenities of a non-academic nature.
Some of the services funded by the SSAF include sporting and recreational activities, financial advice, child care and food services.
You can pay the SSAF in full up front or, if you are eligible, use an SA-HELP loan for the fee.
What is SSAF?
SSAF (Student Services and Amenities Fee) aims to provide a balanced, practical approach to funding campus services and amenities of a non-academic nature, such as sporting and recreational activities, employment and career advice, child care, financial advice and food services.
- Summary of SSAF Services and Projects 2021 (PDF)
- 2021 SSAF Survey Summary Report (PDF)
- 2020 SSAF Annual Report (PDF)
How much is it?
- Full-time students on campus - $313 per year
- Part-time students on campus - $234.75 per year
- Full-time and part-time students at Port Macquarie campus - $234.75 per year
- Full-time and part-time students studying off campus / Online/ Distance - $94 to $234.75 per year
- Students enrolled in enabling programs (e.g. Newstep, Open Foundation and Yapug) are exempt from this fee.
You will be invoiced up front (separately from your course fees) at the beginning of each term you are enrolled. Once the SSAF bill is generated you will be notified via email that your SSAF bill is available in myHub.
Australian citizens and permanent humanitarian visa holders (resident in Australia) can:
- pay the full SSAF amount up front
- pay some of the SSAF upfront and get a SA-HELP loan for the remainder; or
- apply for a SA-HELP loan for the full SSAF amount
All other students must pay the SSAF up front by the payment due date.
Find out about refunds of the SSAF in our Student Fees Refund Procedure.
Have your say
We follow the Australian Government's guidelines on how universities can use SSAF funds.
Past SSAF reports and documentation:
- Summary of SSAF Services and Projects 2020 (PDF)
- 2020 SSAF Survey Summary Report (PDF)
- SSAF Summary of Services and Projects 2019 (PDF)
- SSAF Annual Report 2019 (PDF)
- Summary of SSAF Services and Projects 2018 (DOC)
- SSAF Annual Report 2018 (PDF)
- Summary of SSAF Services and Projects 2017 (PDF)
- SSAF Annual Report 2017 (PDF)
- Summary of SSAF Services and Projects 2016 (PDF)
- SSAF Annual Report 2016 (PDF)
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.