Solving issues

We want you to have an outstanding student experience at UoN, but if you need help solving an issue, we are here to help.

Administrative issues

Visit a Student Hub for advice on a range of issues including admissions, degrees, credit, fees, scholarships, transcripts, student ID cards, parking permits and travel concessions.

Academic issues

  • Approach the person who has caused you the concern. This may be a member of staff (for example, your lecturer, tutor or course coordinator), or a fellow student.
  • Seek advice from the Student Academic Conduct Officer (SACO) or Head of School about academic misconduct issues including plagiarism, collusion, groupwork and assessment issues
  • Contact the Disability Support Service if you are experiencing difficulty with your studies due to the effects of your disability or medical condition
  • Appeal against a final result in a course,apply to reschedule an examination, apply for an extension of time or special consideration

If these steps have not worked for you, or you are still unsure, you can contact the Dean of Students for further advice and assistance including mediation, help with the preparation of formal appeals or to act on your behalf to negotiate difficult situations.

All issues

Consult the University Policy Library for information about University rules and policies.

Consult the Code of Conduct for information about your rights and responsibilities.

If you are still unsure, contact the Dean of Students for advice and assistance.


If you have tried to resolve your issue but you are not happy with the outcome or the process, then you might consider making a complaint.

Legal Issues

The University of Newcastle Legal Centre (UNLC) offers a range of services for students and members of the public, including free legal services, law clinics and seminars. If UNLC cannot assist you, they will refer you to someone who may be able to help.