Domestic Undergraduate

Applications to change your program are usually opened twice a year – in May and October – but check the key dates on this website for specific details.

Key Application Dates

The first round of applications for Semester 1 2022 have now closed.

A second and final round of applications to change degrees for Semester 1 2022 will open from 1pm Tuesday 14 December 2021. Round 2 applications will close at 11:59pm 30 January 2022. Late applications will not be considered.

Applicants who lodge an application by the Round 2 closing date should receive outcomes from 1pm 8 February 2022 to their preferred email address listed in MyHub.

Round 2 Program availability

Although all undergraduate programs* will be available to select in the Round 2 application form, please note that depending on acceptance rates from Round 1, there may be very limited places remaining for some programs. This is particularly the case for health-related and social work programs.

As a result, it is anticipated that the rank required for admission to these programs will increase in Round 2.

*Except Midwifery and the Joint Medical Program. Refer to Eligibility section below.

Please read the detailed information below before proceeding with your application.

Important Fee Information

Under the Job-ready Graduates Package of reforms to higher education, the student tuition contribution for students who commence a program from 2021 have changed. If you were admitted to your current program in prior to 2021, please note that if you transfer into a new degree for 2022, you will be required to pay the new Commonwealth Supported Student Contribution. Before submitting your application, please review the Commonwealth Supported contribution rates for 2022 available here.

For more information about Fees and Payment Options, see here or contact

Eligibility for an internal transfer

Current students can apply for an internal transfer to:

  • change from one undergraduate program to another* at the University
  • add a Diploma in Languages to your studies (concurrently study the Diploma in Languages with your bachelors degree)

* Except for the Bachelor of Midwifery and Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine (Joint Medical Program). These programs are NOT available via this direct admission application. Please see below information for further details.

Please note: If you are eligible to submit an internal transfer application, then there is no need to also apply via UAC. Please note that if you submit an Internal Transfer application and also apply via UAC, your Internal Transfer application will be cancelled and you will be considered through UAC.

If you are currently studying a combined degree (eg Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Commerce) and would like to change to one of the single programs within that combination (eg Bachelor of Commerce), depending on how much of your program you have completed, it may be best for you to apply for an exit award rather than a program transfer.  Please contact your Program Advisor for specialist advice to ensure that you take up the best option to reach your goal.

How to Apply

  1. Once applications are open, click on the ‘Apply Now’ button below to access the application form.
  2. Complete your application. You can select up to two preferences. Only add a second preference if it is a degree you are prepared to study if you are not eligible for your first preference.
  3. Attach any relevant documents (if applicable) to the appropriate section of the application.
  4. Make sure you submit your application and any documentation by the closing date.

Note: If you apply for a transfer and meet all requirements, there is no offer/accept process. You will be transferred directly into your new chosen degree program for Semester 1, 2022 and discontinued from your current program of study. Please do not apply simply to test if you will be eligible.

Any course enrolment in place for Semester 1, 2022 will be withdrawn at the time of processing your transfer, if approved. It is then your responsibility to review the program plan of your new degree and complete enrolment after you receive confirmation of the transfer being processed. For courses with multiple class options you will need to register your preferences in MyTimetable. Further details on enrolment dates can be found on our website.

Additional information

Students applying for the Bachelor of Music and Performing Arts and/or the Bachelor of Music and Performing Arts / Bachelor of Arts are also required to complete the additional entry requirements before we can assess their eligibility for a place in these programs. Applicants should complete the Music Selection Process as early as possible, and by the specified audition closing dates. This will help ensure that the results from the additional selection criteria can be assessed, and we can determine a final outcome on your application.

The following scenarios for transfer will automatically be recognised as successful, with no further academic assessment required:

UON program currently enrolled in

Transfer to

Combined undergraduate degree

Single degree within the existing combination. For combined Law programs, students can only drop the Law component

Combined undergraduate degree

Another combined degree where one of the named degrees remains the same (excluding combined Law programs)

Combined Engineering (Honours) degree

Another combined Engineering (Honours) degree

Combined Law (Honours) degree

Another combined Law (Honours) degree

B Engineering (Honours) or B Engineering (Honours) combined (any discipline)

B Engineering (Honours) (any discipline) excluding B Aerospace Systems Engineering (Honours) and B Renewable Energy Engineering (Honours)

B Engineering (Honours) (any discipline)

B Surveying (Honours) excluding B Aerospace Systems Engineering (Honours) and B Renewable Energy Engineering (Honours)

B Engineering (Honours) or B Engineering (Honours)  combined (any discipline)

B Computer Science or B Engineering (Mining Transfer Program)

B Engineering (Mining Transfer Program)

B Engineering (Honours) (any discipline) excluding B Aerospace Systems Engineering (Honours) and B Renewable Energy Engineering (Honours), or B Surveying (Honours) or B Computer Science

B Computer Science

B Engineering (Honours) (any discipline) excluding B Aerospace Systems Engineering (Honours) and B Renewable Energy Engineering (Honours)

B Computer ScienceB Information Technology or B Surveying (Honours) or B Engineering (Mining Transfer Program)
B Design (Architecture)B Construction Management (Building) (Honours)

B Surveying (Honours)

B Engineering (Honours) (any discipline) excluding B Aerospace Systems Engineering (Honours) and B Renewable Energy Engineering (Honours), or B Engineering (Mining Transfer Program) or B Computer Science

Any UON undergraduate degree

B Arts

Any UON undergraduate degree

B Business

Any UON undergraduate degree

B Commerce

Any UON undergraduate degree

B Science

Any UON undergraduate degree

Any UON B Education degree

If your program transfer application requires assessment, this will be based on your educational qualifications and the program’s admission requirements. Your educational qualifications may include UON studies (at least 20 units completed from two different courses to calculate a Grade Point Average), completed qualifications submitted to UAC that we can access, or any other eligible studies you include in your application.

Eligible qualifications that are assessed as part of your application will have a selection rank allocated. This must be equivalent to, or higher than, the selection rank cut-off that applies to your preferred transfer program, based on the year of admission.

You must also meet any additional admission criteria for the transfer program. For example: students applying to transfer to a Bachelor of Music and Performing Arts or Bachelor of Music and Performing Arts / Bachelor of Arts will be required to complete the Music Selection Process as early as possible.

The University supports students who have experienced long-term educational disadvantage and recognises nine broad categories as outlined on the UAC website.

If your current studies have been affected then please refer to the information available on UAC about EAS categories of disadvantage and required documents. A copy of the University of Newcastle EAS form for direct applicants is available here and within the UON change degree application. Please complete this and upload, along with supporting documentation, to your internal transfer application by the application closing date.

If you identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, you can indicate that you would also like to be considered under the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Entry Scheme.

The Student Engagement team at The Wollotuka Institute can provide advice and assist with your application to change programs.

The Bachelor of Midwifery program and Bachelor of Medical Science/ Doctor of Medicine (Joint Medical Program) is NOT available via this direct admission application. If you wish to be considered for admission to either of these programs, you must submit an application to the Universities Admission Centre (UAC).

For further information regarding Midwifery, please refer to the Bachelor of Midwifery Application Process, and apply to UAC  before the relevant closing date.

For further information regarding the Joint Medical Program, please refer to How to Apply for the Joint Medical Program

If you are currently completing an Undergraduate Certificate, you can use the Internal Transfer application to apply for a Bachelor degree program*.

Upon completion of your Undergraduate Certificate, you are guaranteed admission into a wide selection of degree programs (Credit may vary depending on choice of degree).

If you have not completed your Undergraduate Certificate, but have completed at least 20 units from two different courses, we will use these studies to calculate a Grade Point Average, which we will use to assess your application.

* Except for the Bachelor of Midwifery and Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine (Joint Medical Program). These programs are NOT available via this direct admission application. Please see above information for further details.

Before being considered for admission to the Bachelor of Nursing, the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council requires all applicants to demonstrate a high level of English proficiency. To do this, applicants must do one of the following:

  • Declare that:
    • English is your primary language (i.e. the language you primarily use for reading, writing, listening and speaking and the language you know best and are most comfortable with)
    • before the program start date you will have completed six years of schooling in English - including at least two years of secondary school in English - in one of the following countries: Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, United States, Canada, Republic of Ireland, United Kingdom. All the requirements for schooling are on the UAC website.
  • Undertake an English language proficiency test accepted for entry to the Bachelor of Nursing no more than two years before the program start date. You will need to achieve specified minimum results. Minimum test results are outlined in the English Language Proficiency for Admission Policy.
  • Declare that you are currently registered as an enrolled nurse, registered nurse or registered midwife with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency - Nursing and Midwifery (AHPRA).

If you select the Bachelor of Nursing as one of your preferences, you will be asked to make one of these declarations in your application. If you declare that you have or will be undertaking an English Language Proficiency test, you will be required to upload a colour or certified copy of your test results to your application by the closing date. If you declare that you are currently registered with AHPRA, you will need to include your AHPRA registration number.

Upon graduation and application for registration as a nurse in Australia, you will also need to meet the English language skills registration standard of the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia.

Apply now Change your program

Need help figuring out your options?

The University has a number of careers services and resources designed specifically for helping you reach your career goals. If you are thinking of changing degrees but are not sure what you want to study, or would just like to check out your options, visit our careers website.

Don’t forget, for any kind of advice about your studies you can drop in to Student Central. Our team can put you on the right track and in touch with people who can help.

The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.