The University of Newcastle, Australia

Taking a break from study

In most cases, taking a break from study means applying for a Leave of Absence.

As opposed to a deferral – which is granted to students who have yet to begin their course or haven’t yet completed 10 units – a Leave of Absence will have specific eligibility requirements. However, a Leave of Absence still has the advantage of allowing you to return to your program without going through the admissions process.

A Student Advisor can help you to decide if a Leave of Absence is the right option for you. You should also talk to them if you are considering withdrawing completely from your program.

Domestic and off-shore

If you’re a domestic or off-shore student enrolled in an eligible program, you can apply for a one-year Leave of Absence via myHub.

For more information about this process, contact Student Central or email


If you’re an international student enrolled in an eligible program, you can apply for a Leave of Absence for one term of study if there are compelling or compassionate circumstances. You will need supporting documentation to apply and you must discuss this with a Student Advisor.

Email or visit Student Central to make an appointment.

If you are an international student under the age of 18, please contact International Student Engagement on for further advice.

International student requirements

Higher Degree by Research

The Office of Graduate Research will assist you with the Leave of Absence or program withdrawal process. You can apply using this application form.

For more information about the requirements for Leave of Absence, read the Admissions and Enrolment Procedure Manual - Coursework Program – see Section 19.