Our Counselling Service is open during normal business hours. For support out of hours we provide a list of services.

Coping with a crisis

The Counselling Service is open during office hours on normal University working days. We try to offer counselling appointments as quickly as possible, however during peak periods there may be waiting periods of up to two weeks.

Walk in clinics are available for students who have not already seen a university counsellor this year.

If you or someone you know is having a crisis or you feel that you need to talk to someone during a time when the Counselling Service is closed please use the list of emergency numbers below. Some of these are 24 hour services.

Psychiatric emergencies

Psychiatric Emergency Centre (Newcastle)

Central Coast Mental Health Service

Counselling and support


Victims of Crime

Kid's Helpline

Sexual assault

Sexual Assault Service

VOCAL Victim of Crime Assistance League

NSW Rape Crisis Centre

Domestic violence

Domestic violence line

Child abuse

Child Protection Helpline

Family relationships

Family Relationship Advice Line

Mens issues


Drug and alcohol counselling

The Alcohol and Drug Information Service (ADIS)


Emergency accommodation

Homeless Persons Information Centre

Emergency Youth Accommodation Line

Elandra Women's & Children's Service

Coast Shelter

Woy Woy Women's & Children's Service

Housing NSW

Please be patient when calling these support services as they are in demand and you may experience delays. All 1800 and 1300 numbers are toll free. Other 24 hour counselling numbers are listed on the inside cover of the White Pages Telephone Directory.

Emergency counselling for Australian students overseas is provided by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT). DFAT provides emergency services for Australians who are experiencing a crisis while overseas. These services include access to Lifeline telephone counselling.

Ring the consulate emergency number +61 1300 555 135 (press 6 for emergency) and they will connect you to Lifeline who will assist with managing the crisis.

Or ring the local high commission/embassy/consulate and ask to be put through to Lifeline in Australia.

If you are in immediate danger call the police on 000 (Police, Ambulance or Fire Brigade). Otherwise you can call the numbers below.

Police Assistance Line

On campus Security

Poisons Information Centre



John Hunter Hospital – 4921 3000

Belmont Hospital – 4923 2000

Calvary Mater Hospital – 4923 2000

Maitland Hospital – 4939 2000

Central Coast

Gosford Hospital – 4320 2111

Wyong Hospital – 4394 8174