The ALLY Network is a key initiative aimed at creating a more inclusive culture at the University of Newcastle by promoting greater visibility and awareness of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and/or queer, + other diverse sexual orientations and gender identities. (LGBTIQ+) staff and students and their related issues.
The network offers professional development and training to staff and students who are prepared to advocate on behalf of members of UON’s LGBTIQ+ community.
An ALLY is a staff member or student on campus who, through attending professional development, is aware of the issues faced by members of the LGBTIQ community. An Ally is an active agent of change who chooses to challenge anti-LGBTIQ prejudice and heteronormative values.
ALLIES are not experts of sexuality and gender identity but continue to develop their knowledge of these matters.
A UON ALLY can offer you:
- a safe place to talk
- an open and accepting attitude
- an opportunity to be listened to and understood
- a wide variety of referral avenues both on and off campus
Join the ALLY network
If you would like to join the ALLY network you will be expected to:
- Attend an ALLY training session
- Be a role model for the University through your behaviour and language
- Recognise existing heterosexual privileges and be reflective
- Work within and support existing equal opportunity and anti-discrimination policies
- Proactively raise the visibility of the ALLY Network
- Publicly identifying yourself as an ALLY by allowing your name to be included on the ALLY page and in information provided to staff and students
- Be a point of contact on campus and provide a ‘safe zone’ for staff and students to seek support
- Attend ALLY meetings, events and information sessions min x3 p/year
- Understand support services and referral pathways on campus
- Be open and respond respectfully to questions from and about LGBTIQ+ students and staff and maintain confidentiality
- Keep up to date and informed about current LGBTIQ+ related issues, learnings, resources and information
Details on the next workshop will be advertised on the UON website and social media.
Register your interest via email to the Equity and Diversity Coordinator; Astrid Gearin- firstname.lastname@example.org