ALLY is a network of UoN students and staff who have an understanding of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) people and the issues they frequently face.
The ALLY network aims to raise the awareness of LGBTI issues across our campuses and promote a more welcoming, diverse and inclusive culture at UON.
An ALLY is a trained person who has an understanding of gay, lesbian, transgender and intersex (GLBTI) people and issues and can provide a 'safe zone' for support and referral services for GLBTI staff and students. An ALLY is not identified as being heterosexual or GLBTI, but rather is someone who is representative of the University community.
ALLIES are not experts of sexuality and gender identity but continue to develop their knowledge of these matters.
A UoN ALLY can offer you:
- a safe place to talk
- an open and accepting attitude
- an opportunity to be listened to and understood
- a wide variety of referral avenues both on and off campus
Useful Websites and Resources
- Australian Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission
- Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby
- National LGBTI Health Alliance
- Understanding your Legal Rights (PDF, 239KB)
- Pride in Diversity Australian Recruitment Guide 2015 (PDF, 4.43MB)
- Human Rights Commission Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Intersex Rights 2015 (PDF,6.91MB)
- An Ally's Guide to Terminology
- Trans* Ally Workbook - Getting pronouns right - What it teaches us about gender
Local Services Contact Details
Telephone and Online LGBTI Counselling Services
Join the ALLY network
If you would like to join the ALLY network, you will be expected to:
- attend an Ally training session
- be a role model for the University through your behaviour and language
- work within and support existing equal opportunity and anti-discrimination policies
- proactively raise the visibility of the UON ALLY Network
- attend occasional ALLY meetings and information sessions where possible
- know when to refer on or seek further assistance
Details on the next workshop will be advertised on the UON website and social media.
Register your interest via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Find an ALLY
There are a number of trained Allies across UON campuses to support LGBTI staff and students. ALLIES can provide 'point of call' LGBTI support and referrals to appropriate services. To contact an Ally refer to the Current Allies List.