The University of Newcastle Students’ Association (UNSA)
UNSA is the organisation at the University that supports and represents over 30,000 students at all onshore locations (Callaghan, Gosford, Newcastle, Ourimbah, Port Macquarie and Sydney) as well as the 4,000+ students studying online (the Cloud Campus).
UNSA is a not-for-profit organisation and our purpose is to positively impact your student experience in matters related to your educational experiences, welfare and wellbeing, and by providing a range of activities, extra-curricular events, and out-of-class engagement opportunities. UNSA commenced operations on 1 July 2020 and the services you enjoyed through NUSA, NUPSA and Yourimbah will be available through UNSA.
UNSA has a Student Representative Council (SRC), made up of 18 student representatives. Three external Directors and the six SRC Executive members make up the UNSA Board. Representatives are elected by you, the students, at the annual elections in semester 2 each year. For 2020 your elected representatives are:
- President - Luka Harrison
- Vice-President Education - Natasha Perrottet
- Vice President Experience & Engagement - VACANT
- Vice-President Welfare & Wellbeing - Jessica Philbrook
- International Students' Senate Convenor - Maulidiyah Jailani Abin Dulah
- Postgraduate Students' Senate Convenor - Aaron Matthews
- Newcastle Campuses Convenor - Corey Dixon
- Central Coast Campus Convenor - Matthew Knight
- Cloud Campus Convenor - Alexander Snape
- Sydney Campus Convenor - Benjamin Goy
- Port Macquarie Campus Convenor - Stephen Bennett
- Disability Collective Convenor - Geordan Hart
- Indigenous Collective Convenor - Ngaire Pakai
- Queer Collective Convenor - TJ Hay
- Women's Collective Convenor - Paris Drinkwater
Newcastle University Sport (NUsport) is the peak sporting body at the University. NUsport aims to promote sport as an essential part of life and facilitate sporting, fitness and recreational activities that help you keep fit, make friends and have fun while studying at UON.
The legacy of NUSA, NUPSA and Yourimbah
Since 2016 the three student entities (NUSA, NUPSA and Yourimbah) collaborated to support of the creation of the new student association (UNSA). These three entities have now ceased their operations.
The University of Newcastle is grateful to the students and staff of these organisations for their dedication to, and support of, the students of the University over many years - since 1954 (NUSA), 1989 (Yourimbah) and 1997 (NUPSA) - and for their vision in the creation of the new association.