Security, safety and help on campus
The University provides trained security officers to help ensure you and your property are safe on campus.
If you feel threatened, are concerned by something you have seen or experienced, or something just does not feel right, our Safety and Security Services team are here to help.
Security on campus
- Services we provide
- Getting around campus at night
- What to do in an emergency
- Reporting an incident
- Tools and resources
- Book a safety and security presentation
Services we provide
The Safety and Security Services team are here to help. Your safety and the security of the university’s property is a significant Importance to us. Areas that we are responsible for include:
- protection of university property and facilities
- monitoring and response to alarms and security help points
- providing first aid and emergency assistance
- monitoring of CCTV
- visible presence on campus through vehicle patrols and foot patrols
- emergency response
- operation of the security shuttle bus service (day and night time service)
- after dark safe walk service on-campus
- enforcing of parking regulations on-campus
- management of lost property
- education and awareness of good personal safety and security practices
- building access
- responding to snakes, wildlife and other animals on-campus
Getting around campus at night
It's always great to be able to walk around campus with friends, but sometimes individual study needs mean you may have to walk alone. To ensure you feel safe getting around campus at night we have a number of suggestions on all the ways you can get around campus day or night.
What to do in an emergency
In the event of an emergency call the emergency services on '000' and also call campus security on the number relevant to the campus the emergency is occurring. In an emergency our Safety and Security Services Team act as the Chief Warden until emergency services arrive. Find more information on what to do in an emergency.
Reporting an incident
It takes a community to build a safer campus. If you notice anything suspicious, witness a crime or incident in progress or something just does not feel right, let us know. You can report any immediate security incident by calling Safety and Security Services or using a security help phone. You can also send us an email and we will look into it and make sure everything is OK.
An incident can include:
- personal harm to self or others (including physical, threats etc.)
- property events (including theft and damage)
- suspicious or concerning behaviour / activity
- crimes which are in progress
Our Safety and Security Services team are committed to the safety of everyone on our campuses but we all need to work together to ensure a safe campus community.
Download the MyUON app and have all the info about security right at your fingertips. On the app you can:
- call Safety and Security Services straight from your device
- track the Security shuttle in real time
- view the most up to date Recommended Paths and Patrolled Paths maps
- find Security Help Points near you
The MyUON app is available on iOS and Android and web browsers.
Tools and resources
We have a range of handy tips and advice, fact sheets, maps and videos to assist you stay safe on-campus.
- Tips and advice
- Emergency procedures card for Callaghan campus
- Emergency procedures card for Newcastle City Precinct
- Emergency procedures card for Ourimbah campus
- Emergency procedures card for Sydney
- Emergency procedures card for University House, Newcastle City Precinct
The health and safety of our students is extremely important.
Book a safety and security presentation
Our team can provide a 30 minute safety awareness presentation to students and staff. The talks are particularly helpful as part of an induction or orientation process as they can familiarise you with the services we provide, how to contact us and also provide a range of tips and advice on:
- how you can stay safe whilst on and off campus
- how to get help during an emergency
- support programs in place for victims of crime
Email us if you have a student event and would like to have a Safety and Security officer present to your group.
Other help options
Many issues you may need help with are addressed at ASKUON.
If you are feeling stressed or anxious, you can access free, confidential counselling and support services.