Legal Office support portal
The new Legal Office Service Portal is now available. Visit the portal to seek legal advice, browse templates and search knowledge.
We strive to ensure our services are independent, contemporary and of the highest quality. Our expertise and capabilities are aligned with the core functions of the University.
Our focus is on providing specialist advice to assist the University in meeting the Lead Strategies. We enable the University to quickly respond to business needs in a manner which protects the University's interests and is commercially sensitive.
The Legal Office is a leader in the organisation for driving efficiencies in internal processes. Our advice is prompt and business focused and we are the University's trusted business advisor.
Role of the Legal Office
The Legal Office advises University personnel on a broad range of legal issues and matters that arise through the University's pursuit of its educational and commercial objectives.
The Legal Office balances its pragmatic and commercially sensible advice with its obligations to meet the standards of conduct required of the legal profession.
The Legal Office executes its role by:
- supporting senior management in achieving the University's strategic objectives;
- providing legal assistance and support on the University's major projects and initiatives;
- assisting University personnel to identify and manage legal risk;
- managing disputes and litigation; and
- providing decision makers with education and training so that they may make informed decisions about legal risks and how to mitigate those risks in their dealings on behalf of the University.
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.