Elections are conducted by the University Secretary (as Returning Officer) for various positions on University bodies (Councils, Committees, Boards etc). Many other bodies conduct their own elections for positions on those bodies. This site only deals with those elections undertaken by the University Secretary.
Notice of Annual General Meeting of Convocation
The University of Newcastle is holding its Annual General Meeting of Convocation in the Boardroom, Level 8, NewSpace Building, Newcastle Campus on Wednesday 6 December at 7.30 am.
The Agenda for the meeting is available here.
All members of Convocation are invited to attend. Members of Convocation are:
- the members and past members of the Council;
- the graduates of the University;
- the professors and full-time and part-time members of the academic staff of the University;
- the full-time or part-time members of the non-academic staff of the University;
- any person who has retired from employment as a member of the academic or non-academic staff of the University after having been a member of Convocation for 12 months or more;
- any person on whom the University has conferred an honorary degree or other award, or an honorary appointment;
- past members of the council of the Hunter Institute of Higher Education, the Newcastle Teachers’ College or the Newcastle College of Advanced Education.
The Rules Governing Convocation can be found at https://www.newcastle.edu.au/about-uon/governance-and-leadership/policy-library/document-record?RecordNumber=D14/168086
The Governance Rule can be found at https://www.newcastle.edu.au/about-uon/governance-and-leadership/policy-library/document-record?RecordNumber=D17/244510
Elections for the following positions will be held at the Annual General meeting:
- President of the Alumni Advisory Committee;
- Three General positions;
Nomination forms and instructions are available at https://www.newcastle.edu.au/current-staff/our-organisation/governance/elections
Nominations must be received no later than 5 pm on Wednesday 29 November 2017
Election of Academic Staff to Faculty Boards for 2018
Elections were held for a number of positions on Faculty Boards commencing from 1 January 2018.
Twelve positions were elected unopposed and one electronic ballot was held.
- Download the Academic Staff to Faculty Boards election results here.
Election of Academic Staff to Academic Senate for 2018
Elections were held for a number of positions on Academic Senate commencing from 1 January 2018.
Eight electronic ballots were held.
- Download the Academic Staff to Academic Senate election results here.
Election of Academic and Non-Academic Staff to the UniSuper Consultative Committee
At the close of the nomination period for the positions of academic and non-academic staff members of the University, who are members of UniSuper, to the UniSuper Consultative Committee, the number of valid nominations received were not greater than the number of positions.
The University of Newcastle elected members are:
Professor Jon Hirst – Academic member
Mr David Pleasance – Non-Academic member
There are currently no Council appointment processes open.
Visit the Student Elections Web Page for more information.