On-campus medical centres
Students and staff at both Newcastle (Callaghan) and Central Coast (Ourimbah) campuses have access to medical centres staffed by doctors and registered nurses.
Patients covered by Medicare are bulk billed. You will need to present your Medicare card and a current Centrelink Health Care Card (if applicable) at consultations.
International students covered by Allianz Global Assistance, Medibank Private, ahm and nib are directly billed to their insurer, so there will be no out-of-pocket expenses for consultations – however be sure to bring documentation of your coverage.
While some services – such as medical examinations and certain immunisations – are not covered by Medicare or insurance, no student will be refused urgent medical care because of inability to pay at the time.
Appointments are necessary (except for emergencies) and usually last 15 minutes. If you think you need more time, please tell the receptionist when making your appointment. Please arrive 10 minutes early for your first appointment to complete the paperwork.
- Phone: (02) 4921 6000
- Open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, both during semester and recess.
- Located on Level 1, Student Services Centre at the Newcastle campus at Callaghan.
- Appointments can be made by phone or visiting the medical centre in person.
- There is one clinic for urgent problems each morning, which are best booked by telephone between 8.30am - 9am as they fill up quickly.
- This practice provides 24-hour care for our patients through GP Access, which operates after 6pm on weekdays, on weekends from 12pm Saturday, and public holidays.
- On Saturday mornings you can attend HealthSure Medical Centre, Jesmond by phoning (02) 4951 2700.
Central Coast (Ourimbah)
- Phone: (02) 4348 4060
- Open Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9am to 5pm.
- Located in the Student Support Unit on the Central Coast campus (adjacent to the library).
- Appointments can be made by phone or visiting the Health Service.
- Some appointments are kept for emergencies. If you feel you need to see a doctor urgently, please discuss it with the nurse.