The No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS) provides individuals and families on low incomes with access to safe, fair and affordable credit. Loans are between $300 and $1,200 for essential goods and services such as fridges, washing machines and medical procedures. Repayments are set up at an affordable amount over 12 to 18 months. To be eligible for NILS you must have a Health Care Card or earn less than $45,000 a year (after tax). Loans cannot be used for cash, bond, rent arrears, debt consolidation, holidays or bills.
- No Interest Loan Scheme
- Financial counsellors
- Local services in Newcastle are listed with Hunter Homeless Connect
Local financial counsellors
- Financial Counselling Hunter Valley Project Inc - 22 Turton Road, Waratah,2298, NSW 02 4968 9686
- Samaritans - 32 Brunker Avenue, Broadmeadow, 2292 NSW 02 4922 1509
- Wesley Counselling Services - 15 Denison Street, Newcastle West, 2302, NSW 02 4915 3688
- On campus accommodation
- Off campus accommodation
- Private landlords in the Newcastle area: Real Estate or Domain
TIP: Remember before signing any contract know your rights as a tenant in NSW.
Fact: There are many different types of accommodation to choose from while you study here at Newcastle. All of them are covered by the Residential Tenancies Act 2010. The Act and the regulations set out a standard residential tenancy agreement that gives rights and obligations to landlords and tenants. The Act gives the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) power to hear and settle disputes about residential tenancies, including bond disputes.
Hunter Homeless Connection
Has Local services in Newcastle, supports available for different categories i.e. housing, food, NILS and other helpful resources, just go to: Hunter Homeless Connect and either use their search AskIzzy or download their brochure.