Financial assistance

There are options to help you cover the costs of study:

Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)

A HELP loan enables you to delay paying your student contribution or tuition fees for now and pay them off through the tax system once you are earning over the threshold set by the Government. In 2016-2017 you would need to be earning $54,869 or more before you need to make repayments towards your HELP loan.

See Study Assist for all the details on eligibility, how to apply, loan repayments and more.

There are four main types:

  • HECS-HELP for eligible Commonwealth supported students.
  • FEE-HELP for eligible fee paying undergraduate and postgraduate students.
  • OS-HELP for eligible Commonwealth Supported Students who want to study overseas (exchanges, study abroad, short courses and other approved overseas study experiences).
  • SA-HELP to help eligible Commonwealth supported students to pay the student services and amenities fee.

The loans are provided by the Australian Government and repayment thresholds are reviewed annually.


The HECS-HELP benefit provides an incentive for graduates of particular courses to take up related occupations or work in specified locations. The incentive is a reduction in compulsory HELP repayments. For more information about the benefit and to apply, visit the Australian Tax Office. Information is also available on the Government's Study Assist website.

Back to top


Use our Scholarships finder to view the range of scholarships on offer. You don't have to be top of the class – scholarships are available in a variety of categories including sport, music and subject choice. You may be eligible based on your financial need or the town you are from.

Back to top

Student Loans and Welfare

Financial Assistance

Student Loans - Domestic and International Student

Student loans are interest-free loans that are available on a short term basis to students who demonstrate genuine need and whose continued study might be placed in jeopardy without additional assistance.


Applications for financial assistance will only be considered from students who:

  • Are currently enrolled
  • Completed at least one semester of study
  • Are in good academic standing
  • Do not have any outstanding debts owed to The University of Newcastle
  • Demonstrate genuine financial hardship where continued study might be placed in jeopardy
  • Loans - demonstrate their ability to meet the required loan repayments
  • Loans - ensure that a loan will not put them in further financial difficulty

To apply for financial assistance, please email or hand deliver your completed documentation to the student loans and welfare office or into the Student Support Office (SC2-12).  Once the documentation is returned, the Student Loans and Welfare advisor will contact you if a meeting is required or more documentation is needed or to inform you of the outcome of your application.

Please apply by providing the following:

  • A completed copy of the Student Financial Assistance Application form
  • Two forms of ID including your UON Student Card
  • Current Bank Statement (all account you hold, full month of transactions)
  • Centrelink/Income Statement and/or 3 x payslips or payment advice from employers
  • Valid evidence of costs (bills, rent receipts, housing bonds, textbook quote etc. - we cannot provide funds without valid evidence of costs)

Please be reminded that if you are approved for a Student Loan there is a minimum waiting period of 7 to 10 days from the date of approval before the funds will be dispersed to your nominated financial institution. Applications are assessed 2 days per week. While we understand that your application may be of an urgent nature, unfortunately this timeframe is not negotiable.

For further information see our Student Loans Scheme procedure.

Back to top

Income assistance

Check with Centrelink to see if you are eligible for an allowance to help cover your living costs. If you are a domestic student studying full time, you may be eligible for:

  • Youth Allowance: for full time student aged 16-24 years, or
  • Austudy: for full time students aged 25 years and over, or
  • Abstudy: for full time students of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent.

Back to top