Peer assisted study sessions (PASS)
Peer Assisted Study Sessions (PASS) provide a platform for you to compare notes, discuss difficult concepts and review weekly material with other students.
Courses and timetables
Sem 1, 2020 - Week 13 and exam prep sessions timetable. Regular sessions will finish in Week 12. Please follow this timetable for Week 13 and any exam prep sessions available.
A full list of courses offering PASS in Semester 1, 2020 can be found below. To find out when face-to-face sessions will be held you can view the PDF timetables for each campus. You can also check the Web Timetable*.
You can also login to Blackboard and look for 'Online PASS' under 'My Other Sites'. The Blackboard site will give you access to Online PASS resources and information about session times and locations.
- Newcastle City PASS Timetable (PDF, 113.5 KB)
- plus Faculty of Business and Law offerings that will be available closer to Semester commencement
- HUBS1406 - online if required. Please email email@example.com for details.
If you are studying Open Foundation, Newstep or Yapug and you are interested in PASS, visit your relevant Course Site in Blackboard or visit your personalised support page at www.newcastle.edu.au/heretohelp
PASS is used by universities all across Australia for the simple reason that they improve the grades of students who regularly attend. PASS sessions:
- improve analytical skills
- increase motivation
- improve time-management skills
- help exam preparation
It has also been shown that one hour of face-to-face PASS is the equivalent of up to three hours of solo study – so if you’re busy, like most students, this is an awesome way to streamline your habits and make sure you’re making the most efficient and successful use of your time.
Plus it’s a great way to make friends with other students in your course.
PASS sessions are great. They make me study and bring my attention to what I need to know. They are also a place where I'm not ashamed to firstly admit I don't know something, and secondly, to get help” - previous PASS student.
Online PASS Interactive Sessions are the same as on-campus PASS sessions, just online, making some courses accessible to students who study off-campus and students who find it difficult to fit on-campus sessions into their schedule.
The sessions are conducted by the same PASS Leaders who run face-to-face sessions, and have been trained to manage an online classroom.
To access Online PASS Interactive Sessions, follow the steps below:
- login to UONline (Blackboard)
- select 'Online PASS' from the 'My Other Sites' list to access Online PASS
- click on "MY COURSES" and you will see the links to course pages for the courses you signed up to
Each course page includes:
- course-specific tips
- session times
- a blog that is updated weekly by the PASS Leader with activities and timely suggestions
- a Discussion Board just for students in your course. The Discussion Board will be monitored by the PASS Leader so you can ask them or your fellow students questions.