Staff who make their mark
Staff from across the University are proud to support our students and researchers through generous donations and fundraising activities.
You can join our community of amazing supporters, helping students facing unfair barriers to tertiary education to develop, explore and thrive, and fueling a climate of innovation and ground-breaking research.
100% of your generous donation is directed to your chosen cause.Payroll giving The easy way to give
We have several ways you can support our students and researchers including:
As a staff payroll giver with the University of Newcastle, you can give as little as $2 per fortnight, pre-tax, to your chosen cause. It takes one minute to sign up here.
Benefits when you participate in the payroll giving program include:
- supporting a cause that you care about
- knowing that 100% of your donation goes to the fund(s) that you select
- automatic fortnightly payroll deductions
- spreading your donations over the year, rather than making a larger one-off donation
- making tax time a lot easier as your donations are taken out of your pre-tax salary, giving you automatic tax relief and removing the need to keep receipts for your annual tax returns
You can also make a one-off gift at any time that is convenient for you. You will still have the freedom to select any fund you wish to donate to by using our secure online donation form.
Get your team involved:
Create your own scholarship:
Set a challenge for 16 people within your office to give up one coffee a week ($5.00) for a year, and you could create your own Shaping Futures Scholarship. To start your own scholarship email Donor-Relations@newcastle.edu.au.
Organise an event:
Small event: Every bit helps! Here are some low cost, low maintenance and fun ways to raise funds within the office.
- Office change jar/swear jar/buzzword jar
- Informal event, such as BBQ breakfast before work
- Office fundraising competitions
- Fundraiser chocolates/Entertainment books
- City to Surf fundraising team
- Trivia evening or debate night
- Fundraiser ball
- Hold a fun run
- Run a bookstall
- Hold a raffle
To start fundraising on behalf of UON please contact the Office of Alumni and Philanthropy to request a Letter of Authority to Fundraise, this is a requirement of the NSW Charitable Fundraising Act 1991.
Be sure to keep the Office of Alumni and Philanthropy updated with any event you run! We love hearing about your fundraising, and are here to support you and to answer any questions you may have. Contact Rebecca Stone, Development Officer on 02 49217 806 or email: Bec.Stone@newcastle.edu.au.
Tell your story
- Ensure you let others know WHY you are inspired to support students and research.
- Include your giving as part of your email signature. (I’m proud to support our dedicated and talented students and researchers through payroll giving)
- Share your story in a staff meeting
Promote giving in your office
- Put up posters
- Have one of the Office of Alumni and Philanthropy staff present at your staff meeting
- Invite a scholarship recipient to talk to your staff
You can support any UON fund you choose, including (for example):
- scholarships, awards and prizes that support academically capable and dedicated students who are facing hardship or challenges that make it difficult for them to complete their studies
- research and discovery programs
- endowments that fund research important to the community, invest in infrastructure to enrich the University and the city, or support disadvantaged students
- outreach programs for school students to experience aspects of study they would not usually see in their school environment.
It’s your choice!
Mrs Donna Feeney
School of Biomedical Sciences and Pharmacy
I have a job because of the University's students and so it's a good way of giving back.
Ms Tanille Elley
School Executive Officer
School of Education,
Faculty of Education and Arts
Donates to the Glen Avery Memorial
Shaping Futures Scholarship Fund
I give to honour Glen's memory. There's been trivia nights, raffles etc. It's a great sense of community to honour someone and do good while doing it. Any group of staff can do it if they see an area of need or a meaningful cause. It was made so easy for us to give to the scholarship. We knew how much Glen was into the arts so it seemed fitting. We give what we can. You don't even miss it.
Professor Geoff Evans
School of Engineering
Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
Donates to the Shaping Futures
I received information in the mail about the University's Annual Appeal and was delighted to receive it and see that the University has taken on such an initiative. I thought this is just fantastic; this really is a meaningful thing. The whole concept of the University doing something for the disadvantaged students is brilliant. As a staff member I am passionate about this worthwhile cause.
Mrs Libbie Best
Web Content Specialist
Marketing and Communications,
Donates to the Shaping Futures
A scholarship can make to real difference to a student’s life. It can set them on a path to success, not just in their career but in the other aspects of their life. They know that someone saw something in them, and that in itself is worth so much more than just the dollar value of a scholarship. I want to enable students with potential but who may have barriers. The staff giving program was really easy to get into. It took me two minutes to fill out the form and the rest is taken care of.
Associate Professor Suzanne Ryan
Newcastle Business School
Faculty of Business and Law
Donates to the R A Ryan Memorial Prize
for Organisational Behaviour
I set up this prize in honour of my mother Rachel Ann Ryan. I've also always had a very strong feeling that the University of Newcastle has given me a life and a career and I should give back to it. The best way to give back is through our students.
How do I participate in payroll giving?
It’s quick, easy and secure to sign up for payroll giving here. You choose the fund(s) for your gift and Payroll Services do the rest!
How do I change or cancel my participation?
If you already participate in payroll giving and want to change the amount you donate or the fund(s) you support, or cancel your participation, complete the online form here. It’s quick, easy and secure.
What happens at tax time?
As UON’s payroll giving program is pre-tax, you will already have received the tax benefit for your donations throughout the year. The amount you have donated will be shown on your Payment Summary under “Workplace Giving: Newcastle University”.
Who do I contact for more information?
If you're interested in becoming part of our Staff Payroll Giving community, sign up here.