The Centre for Resources Health and Safety draws on the multidisciplinary expertise of University researchers spanning disciplines including workplace health and safety, psychology, psychiatry, respiratory studies and environmental impacts, to meet sector demand in this area and facilitate industry and government collaborations for the benefit of communities in resource intensive regions.
The health, safety and wellbeing of those working in the resources sector has gained increasing importance alongside the growth of the industry in Australia and internationally. The Centre for Resources Health and Safety was established in partnership with Aspen Medical, a leading provider of healthcare solutions in the Mining & Resources sector.
Led by the Aspen Medical Chair, the specific objectives of the program are to:
- Provide leadership in the growth of interdisciplinary activities in resources health and safety, recognising expertise across a range of disciplines, including workplace health and safety, respiratory studies, psychology, psychiatry, and environmental and social impacts
- Develop strategies and innovative solutions, and increase research and teaching activities relevant to sector focused programs for resources health and safety
- Increase capacity to educate and inspire future health and safety practitioners and, with the support and involvement of Aspen Medical, contribute to corporate learning in areas related to the development of resources health and safety practices and programs
- Promote research collaboration between the University, Aspen Medical and associated partners in areas relevant to the development of resources health and safety practices and programs
- Provide leadership on Australian policy development and international representation in resources health and safety by developing collaborative relationships with complementary disciplines within the University, other higher education institutions and associations.
The Centre is well positioned to extend the traditional concept of mining health and safety from delivering benefit to people working in the resources industry, to the communities and economies that rely on it.