An international research collaboration network developing innovative technologies for a sustainable carbon economy.
Carbon-based energy and resources such as coal, oil, gas, biomass, shale oil, and combustible ice, play a critical role in the world’s energy security with more than 80% of the global energy supply derived from carbon-based resources. While many countries have achieved a diverse energy mix, there is a need for new and innovative solutions to reduce carbon emissions on a large-scale and to minimise the environmental impacts that are a consequence of carbon-based energy production.
In order to develop these much-needed new solutions for the carbon-based energy economy, the International Collaborative Centre for Carbon Futures (ICCCF) brings together several key strategic international partners who together will create new technologies and catalyst projects that will deliver significant impact in:
- The conversion, capture and storage engineering of fossil fuels;
- The design of sustainable technologies for the management of greenhouse gas emissions;
- Transformational technologies for better utilisation of carbon-based fuels; and
- Discovering alternative uses for carbon resources.
Located at the Newcastle Institute for Energy and Resources (NIER) precinct, the Centre has developed a supportive global network of researchers from both academia and industry that will:
- Foster collaborative research in clean energy technologies, with a focus on Asia- Pacific countries, to share information through hosting workshops that will enable knowledge sharing;
- Facilitate joint research projects that maximise the use of international research resources, engaging energy industry partners for research and development activities to accelerate technology transfer;
- Disseminate findings through joint publications to build research capacity in the sustainable development of a carbon economy for all of the Centre’s university partners;
- Supervise joint PhD students to boost the momentum of clean energy research; and
- Deliver joint undergraduate education programs with all university partners.