The Centre for 21st Century Humanities held Humanities Startup Workshops in 2017 and 2016 which are open to humanities students, graduates and researchers. Over the two day workshops participants heard from industry experts and startup entrepreneurs, learnt the basics of coding and benefited from a facilitated brainstorming session. The participants then pitched their startup ideas to a panel of industry expert judges, with three startups awarded seed funding to help further their ideas. The following successful startups have all received funding to launch their businesses:
- Design service and research studio - allowing students to hone their skills while meeting market demand for services.
- Ethical certification business - empowering Indonesian communities to alleviate the detrimental effects of the tourism industry.
- My year as a fairytale - a year long performance to highlight Maitland's visitor economy.
- Frank's Fantastic Fairytale Theatre - a Hunter Valley based travelling puppetry theatre company.
- Blacksmith repair day - a festival of reuse where the public can bring in items for repair for a small donation.