English Language Centre
The University of Newcastle English Language Centre specialises in teaching English to students from all over the world.
We offer a wide range of intensive English language programs designed to help students achieve their goal of studying with the University of Newcastle, as well as providing opportunities to engage with the wider Newcastle community as part of our award-winning Student Experience Program. Currently, all our programs are being offered live and online via our virtual classroom. To learn more about our online offerings, visit our Study from Home ELICOS page.
About the English Language Centre
The University of Newcastle English Language Centre has been offering English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) since 1989, and has established a reputation for excellence in English language education. Based in Newcastle, the English Language Centre delivers ELICOS for academic and general purposes, and also offers a range of integrated and tailored short-term, Study Abroad and Study Tour programs.
Each year, approximately 800 students from over 30 source countries study with the English Language Centre. We provide a friendly, supportive, and culturally diverse atmosphere as part of the wider University of Newcastle environment. Courses are taught by highly qualified and experienced teachers of English as an Additional Language or Dialect (EALD).
Our staff are led by Pathways and Academic Learning and Support Centre Director, Dr. Anna Bennett, and Assistant Director Benjamin Doran. The English Language Centre is a member of University English Centres Australia (UECA), and English Australia. Our programs are accredited by the National ELT Accreditation Scheme (NEAS).
What we offer
- English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS). Your English language pathway to the University of Newcastle. Offering academic and general English language training for students who have narrowly missed the English language requirements of their degree program with the University of Newcastle.
- Study Abroad. A packaged program including English plus degree course study with the University of Newcastle over one or two semesters
- Tailored or Integrated Short-term English. English programs for individuals and groups looking to improve their English language proficiency.
- Student Experience Program. Offered to students enrolled in all programs with the English Language Centre. Our SEP includes volunteering/work experience opportunities, excursions, and a range of dynamic and engaging activities including Speed Conversations, Cooking on Campus and World Sports Day.
The University of Newcastle Language Centre is the only official IELTS Testing Centre in the Newcastle and Hunter Valley area, offering regular opportunities for candidates to test their English language proficiency. We also offer IELTS Preparation courses for candidates wishing to develop their language skills prior to IELTS testing.
Benefits of studying English with the University of Newcastle
- The English Language Centre has been delivering English language courses for over 30 years. Our experienced and innovative teachers facilitate engaging and rewarding lessons with a student-centred approach to English language education.
- High quality ELICOS curriculum with classes designed to help students successfully transition to tertiary study with the University of Newcastle, prepare for the global workforce, and increase their English proficiency for a range of personal and professional goals.
- The University of Newcastle is proud of its international student body and offers a wide range of services to support their student journey. Of the 40,000 students enrolled in the university, over 7,000 originate from over 100 countries outside Australia.
- Located in Newcastle with convenient access to the University's student facilities and services.
- Ability to practice your English with Australian students through our award-winning Student Experience Program.
- Successful completion of ELICOS enables direct entry to University of Newcastle degree programs and prepares to students for success in their future studies.
- The University of Newcastle offers on-campus and off-campus accommodation including homestays.
- Modern classrooms designed to facilitate a student-centred and blended approach to learning.
- Dedicated computer laboratories equipped with a range of language learning software.
- Campus wide WIFI and free access to a range of student systems and software.
- Access to the University library, including dedicated resources and experienced staff committed to increasing the digital literacy of international students.
Our Central Locations
Our Language Centre on the University’s main campus in Newcastle is a modern building, conveniently located in the centre of the campus adjacent to the University’s library and the student services centre.
The beautiful city of Newcastle is known for its spectacular coastline, its contemporary culture and enviable lifestyle and was included among the top 10 cities in the annual publication of Lonely Planet Guide to the Best Places to Travel 2011. National Geographic has named Newcastle as one of the world’s 7 Smart Cities that have risen to the challenges of 21st century urban life.
Located on the corner of Auckland Street and King Street, our City campus is right in the heart of Newcastle’s CBD. The City campus consists of NUspace, The Conservatorium of Music, University House, Northumberland House and Newcastle Legal Centre. The new Honeysuckle precinct will also join our City campus with the first building set to be completed in 2021.
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.