Panopto for Students
Panopto is easy to use technology for the review of recorded course and lecture video content.
Classrooms on campus are already equipped with lecture capture technology and include a 'Busylight' to let you know when your class is being captured.
Benefits of Panopto
- Automated: To support the University's Lecture Recording 'All-in' Policy (updated Jan 2019), all of your timetabled 'Lectures' will be recorded in equipped classrooms.
- Versatile: All projected content in the classroom can be captured. Captures are processed into an interactive web format as well as audio and video podcasts that can be watched on any device.
- Integrated: Content is published to your Canvas course site(s) as part of your course materials.
- Searchable: Content is automatically indexed so that you can find and fast-forward to words that are mentioned in the lecture, displayed on-screen, or that appear anywhere else in the video.
A link will be available on your Canvas course menu - titled "Panopto". This link provides you with access to all of the course captures.
If you cannot see the link on the course menu, or you are having trouble finding the recordings, please check with your Course Coordinator in the first instance to inquire whether lectures are available or if they are being captured for your course.
Panopto Mobile App
The Panopto Mobile application allows you to stream or download your course and lecture video content to your mobile devices.
Download the Panopto Mobile App for your mobile device:
Frequently Asked Questions
What devices can I use to view captures?
The short answer is that any device that has access to the internet and has a web browser can be used to view captures.
Do I need to be connected to the Internet to view captures?
Yes and No. If you wish to use Panopto's features such as: notes, bookmarks and discussions you will require an Internet connection.
If you want to download captures to view offline you can do so by subscribing to RSS feeds or directly downloading the capture from Panopto. Please contact your Lecturer or Course Coordinator in the first instance if you are unable to download captures as they may have disabled this feature
Why are parts of the capture missing?
There are a couple of reasons as to why some of the capture may be missing:
- The content has been edited by the Lecturer or Course Coordinator
- Content has been removed to adhere to copyright
- Your Lecturer may have requested that the capture not take place
Please contact your Lecturer or Course Coordinator in the first instance to discuss what has happened to the capture
When will a capture become available in Canvas?
Captures will become available anywhere between 3 and 24 hours after the end of your lecture. Your Course Coordinator can decide to delay the release of captures until a specific date or time.
Please contact your Lecturer or Course Coordinator in the first instance to discuss when the capture will be available
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.