If you’re an international student enrolled in an eligible program, you can apply for a Leave of Absence for one term of study if there are compelling or compassionate circumstances. You will need supporting documentation to apply and you must discuss this with a Student Progress Advisor.

Email or visit Student Central to make an appointment.

If you are an international student under the age of 18, please contact International Student Engagement on for further advice.

International student requirements

The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.