You may have questions about making a report to the University, including what will happen with the information, who will see it, and what options are available to you if you are concerned for your own or someone else’s ongoing safety or wellbeing.

If you wish to speak with someone, Campus Care is here to help, or contact the After-hours Crisis Support Line: 1300 653 007, SMS: 0488 884 165 (5pm to 9am weekdays, 24 hours on weekends and public holidays).

Reporting FAQs

Any student, staff or member of the public who has experienced, or witnessed inappropriate, threatening or concerning behaviour on our campuses, online platforms, or at an endorsed university activity.

With the consent of the student, we also encourage any member of staff to make a report if you are:

  • concerned for a student’s wellbeing,
  • if you have received a disclosure from a student who has experienced unacceptable behaviour

If consent is not obtained, you may also make a report withholding the details of the student.

If you have experienced or witnessed any incident which has made you or someone else, feel unsafe or threatened, please report this to us. This includes:

  • Sexual assault
  • Sexual harassment
  • Bullying or victimisation
  • Harassment and discrimination
  • Abuse, including Cyber Abuse
  • Persistent and threatening behaviour
  • Experiences of domestic violence or requiring support after experiencing a criminal act
  • If you are concerned about the wellbeing of another person

If it is a life threatening emergency always call emergency services (Police, Fire, Ambulance) on 000 first, otherwise, if on campus, call the Safety and Security Services team if you are in  immediate threat of harm or concern for your safety.

In any other circumstance, please contact Campus Care either by phone, email, or complete an online report.

Campus Care provides a service that creates a safe environment for everyone at the University. Campus Care staff receive reports of harm or concerns for the wellbeing of individuals, assess risk, and develop relevant support and safety management plans.

Only Campus Care, who will guide you through the processes and options available to you.

From this point, you will be provided with information on referral pathways, support services, and university services. Privacy will continue to be of highest priority, and will be explained by Campus Care with any decision you make.

Yes. The University of Newcastle provides the option for anonymous reporting through the Online Portal. Please note, this will limit the follow-up action or support that we may be able to provide. We encourage you to consider an identified report so that we may better assist you.

Your report will be received by Campus Care for assessment of risk and safety, and the best avenue for support.

When reporting online, you will receive an incident number that you may use for your own records. Retain this incident number for future reference.

You will be contacted by Campus Care who will offer to meet you in person where possible to

  • further discuss your experience,
  • make sure that you are safe, explain how to access support services,
  • guide you through options regarding academic support.
  • guide you through options regarding an assessment of misconduct where appropriate

The University cannot determine whether a criminal act has been committed.

If you wish to pursue a process of an assessment of alleged misconduct, your report will be considered in line with either the Student Conduct Rule, the Enterprise Bargaining Agreement, or contract of employment, depending on the circumstances.

Campus Care will explain this process in greater detail, and in line with your wishes, refer the incident. Details of your report will be used by the Office of the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic) to complete their assessment of an allegation of non-misconduct.

You may also contact the Office of the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic) directly if you wish.

In extreme circumstances, where there is serious risk of harm, we may be required to enforce an immediate suspension for the safety of others or provide information to the police. Should this be necessary, we will do this in consultation with you.

Reporting incidents of Sexual Assault or Sexual Harassment

In addition to the questions above, you may have other questions that are specific to reporting incidents of sexual assault or sexual harassment.

A disclosure is quite often the first time that a student may talk about an experience of Sexual Assault or Sexual Harassment. You may choose to disclose to someone with whom you feel safe and comfortable. Disclosing Sexual Assault or Sexual Harassment is often about finding a space that you feel supported, listened to and believed. It’s about making sure that you feel safe and about understanding support options and how to access them.

Talking to or disclosing to a staff member does not mean the same as a ‘Report’ to the University. If you would like the University to take action, a Report must be made to Campus Care either directly or through the online portal, and you will be provided with a choice of options that you may take.

No. Disclosures are about your safety and wellbeing. However, if the staff member has concerns about your safety or welfare they may reach out to Campus Care for advice, or suggest you both do this together. Seeking advice from Campus Care ensures staff members feel supported to provide support to you.

A staff member seeking advice from Campus Care does not mean the same as a ‘Report’. If you would like the University to take action, a Report must be submitted first, and you will be provided with a choice of options that you may take.

You may choose to share your experience with Campus Care so that you can better understand your options for feeling safe on campus and in classes.  Campus Care will explain processes available to you, assess for risk and safety management, and provide options to you of support avenues.

The online Report is received by Campus Care directly and your name or details of the report are not shared unless you have had the opportunity to discuss your experience. You may then choose to engage in additional processes such as referral of the incident for assessment of alleged misconduct if you wish.

At any point in time, you have the option of referring your report for an assessment of alleged misconduct. The University of Newcastle follows a victim/survivor led approach, respecting the wishes of the persons effected and their choice for further action.

In exceptional circumstances, where there is serious risk of harm, or if you are under the age of 18, we may be required to provide information to the police. Should this be necessary, we will do this in consultation with you.

Alternatively, you can report an incident of sexual assault to NSW police at any stage. This may occur at the same time as a report to the University, at a different time, or not at all. Police provide the option to report and have the matter formally investigated, or to complete a report where vital information is provided to police, without the matter being formally investigated.