Responding to an issue raised about you

If a colleague has raised a concern about you it means they feel you have been rude, threatening, unreasonable or unfair. It is important you remain calm throughout this process and respond in a way which you would like to be responded to if you were making the complaint.

If a colleague has sought advice on how to deal with a workplace conflict which involves you, there are a number of resolution options your colleague may choose.

Two-way discussion

Depending on the severity of the issue, your colleague may be encouraged to try to have an open discussion with you about your behaviour. They may request their supervisor, manager or Human Resources Officer/Advisor be present for this conversation.

It is really important to listen carefully to your colleague's concerns and take note of how your behaviour is making them feel. You should ask for an opportunity to ask questions and respond to their concern and try to agree on an appropriate outcome.

Third party involvement

Your colleague may also consult a University officer at this point (such as a Health and Safety officer or the Equity and Diversity Advisor) to help them resolve the issue with you locally. You are encouraged to consult one of these officers as well to seek advice.

Triage officer

If you or your colleague are not satisfied with the outcome of the conversation (or if you have had the conversation previously and the conflict has returned/remains unresolved), the issue may be escalated to a senior person in the University who will conduct an objective assessment of the conflict.

You will be contacted in order to give your version of events. It is important you provide a clear and honest account of the events and all requested documentation within a timely matter.

The senior University officer will direct the resolution process and implement a suitable course of action. If required, they will refer the conflict to the formal complaints process.

Formal Complaints and Grievances

The University encourages parties to resolve issues informally and at a local level wherever possible. However, if an issue cannot be resolved by any other means, or someone is concerned about how a process or procedure of the University has been applied, they may choose to make a formal complaint or grievance.

If you have any questions about how the University works with you to resolve issues and complaints, what a formal complaint or grievance is and what help is available when a formal complaint or grievance is made, please review our Complaints and Grievances Process page.