Campus Care

Campus Care is a program that creates a safe environment for everyone at the University.

If you are concerned about inappropriate, concerning or threatening behaviour from anyone at the University, Campus Care provides information, advice and support – particularly in complex and sensitive situations.

Campus Care is not an emergency service. All emergencies should immediately be reported to the Emergency Services on 000 or Security on (02) 4921 5888.

Contact Campus Care

When to contact Campus Care

If you experience any of the following:

  • feel threatened or unsafe
  • have concerns about someone else's behaviour or wellbeing
  • have received unwanted attention
  • are worried about someone harming themselves or someone else
  • have experienced sexually based assault or harassment

What we aim to do

  • identify potential concerns early
  • minimise the impact of mental illness and psychological distress
  • ensure appropriate and timely referral to clinical services
  • reduce the stigma of mental illness and promote a University culture that supports individuals and those with concerns about peers and colleagues
  • decrease the number of serious incidents
  • investigate all reports and liaise with relevant services both within and outside the University adhering to privacy laws and University policy.

For support and advice outside of business hours (5pm to 9am weekdays, 24 hours on weekends and public holidays), contact the After-hours Crisis Support Line:

Reporting issues

Complete this secure online form that provides an avenue for students and staff to report concerning behaviour, which can be completed anonymously if you wish.

Concerning behaviour may be regarding someone who you suspect may be a danger to you, themselves, or others.

The form contains questions to obtain specific information so we can provide support and, where requested, manage reports.

Please note that while information reported is confidential, in circumstances where there is serious risk of harm, we may be required to provide some information to others. Should this be necessary, we aim to do it in consultation with you or the person of concern.

If you would prefer to make a report in person please contact Campus Care:

For further information on how reports to the University are managed, please visit our FAQs on Reporting.

Concerning behaviour advice and contacts

What is the process if Campus Care has been contacted as a result of my behaviour?

If a student or staff member has contacted Campus Care about a matter which involves you, it means they have sought advice about how to deal with this issue. Depending on what the issue is, Campus Care will work with the complainant and direct them to one of the universities support services to implement a plan. The support services or your supervisor may involve you at some point if a change in your behaviour is required.

The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.