Spaces and places
Our Ourimbah campus students and communities benefit from outstanding facilities, many of which are purpose-built to replicate industry situations.
Retail trading hours (COVID-19)
The majority of our food and beverage retailers have reopened, along with our food courts in the Hunter and Shortland Buildings. We have processes in place for these spaces to help keep everyone safe.
Ourimbah campus has a wide range of food, shops and bars for students staff and the community to enjoy. See the full list of locations for more information.
The University is home to the kind of sporting facilities where elite athletes are proud to train.
As a student, you can often access these facilities for discounted rates – or even for free.
- Central Coast: Your Gym – 10 Chittaway Road, Ourimbah
More than just buildings full of books (although we have those too) the University’s libraries are vast, interconnected sources of knowledge, with extensive online databases, spaces for individual or group study, and knowledgeable staff who are ready to assist you.
At our Ourimbah campus students and staff have access to
- 276 computers and a range of printing/scanning services
- Eight study rooms with access to computers and screens
- Wireless and power connections for laptops and other devices
- A service-desk offering 24 hour support from library staff
- A student 'Rover' service that provides peer-assisted library and basic IT support
- Cafe, lounge, parents' room and outdoor meeting spaces
KU Children's Services childcare centre operates at our Ourimbah campus. KU Child Care are community-based centres that are open to the general public as well as staff and students.
Central Coast campus (Ourimbah)
If you require emergency or out-of-hours childcare services in Newcastle and the Central Coast regions include:
While much of the university experience is shared no matter what your degree, aspects of your time will be determined by what you are studying.
So to make sure you are getting the most of your degree – have access to all the right resources, are aware of the right people, and are informed about any prizes or scholarships for which you may be eligible – it’s good to know which school you belong to and where the office is.
For international students, UON Global are the team dedicated to ensuring you make the most of your time not only at the University, but in Australia.
UON Global will get you settled in, organise opportunities to meet new people, and assist you to understand forms and official documents – whether they’re concerning your studies or your visa.
We want to help make your experience at the University one of the best and most memorable times of your life.
Ourimbah campus is home to countless learning spaces – both for formal classes and lectures, as well as informal catch-ups for group or individual study.
At Ourimbah, we are particularly proud of our unique, state-of-the-art teaching and learning spaces for our degrees in Exercise and Sport Science, Podiatry, Oral Health Therapy, Nursing and Food Science and Human Nutrition.
Before venturing out into business and community placements, our students develop their practical and theoretical skills in purpose-built teaching facilities including:
- Exercise science and exercise physiology testing facilities - part of the new $7.7million Exercise and Sport Science and Psychology building.
- Clinical laboratories for nursing, oral health and podiatry - students develop skills in settings that simulate hospital wards.
- Sara Lee Test Kitchen - students develop and test food product concepts
While many spaces you can feel free to use at any time, some may require a booking:
- Our libraries have a number of group study rooms and study booths available for bookings and there is also a rang of quiet or collaborative spaces within the library or throughout the campus.
- Faculties and schools have rooms and spaces for bookings that are related to your study such as production rooms, drama theatres etc. See your faculty or school for more information.
- General access computer labs are available for student use, with no need for a booking. See IT support for more information.
- For functions and larger events see Hire our facilities.
Accessibility spaces on campus
Students with a disability have a huge range of services available, such as exam and assessment support, equipment and furniture loans, and parking permits.
- treatment of illnesses and injuries
- women's health care including contraception, pap smears, pregnancy testing and advice, and antenatal care
- testing and counselling for sexually transmitted infections
- vaccinations, including travel immunisations and advice
- immunisations required for students in health related programs
- skin checks
- assistance with emotional and personal difficulties
- mental health services including psychologists, mental health nurse and specialist psychiatrist
- referral to specialists, imaging services, pathology, and physiotherapy
Meet our doctors
Your time at the University of Newcastle can be one of the most rewarding periods of your life, but it’s also a time when you will probably need a range of support and advice. Students who actively seek help during their studies are more likely to be successful in managing their life – both at and outside uni – so it’s one of the smartest things you can do.
It’s also common to need extra support, so you won’t be alone if you utilise the services available.
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.