Global leaders driving world-class innovation
Our research has a global focus
Ranked in the top 3 per cent of the world's universities*, we are achieving research outcomes and excellence that registers on the global stage through collaboration with research peers, industry and the community.
Laureate Professor John Aitken
Laureate Professor John AitkenProfessor Aitken is a global authority on reproductive biology. Supported by funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the Australian National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC), his research offers a solution to unsustainable population growth.
Our researchers are leaders in their fields. Our research is outcome driven.
Laureate Professor Graeme Jameson
- Awarded 2013 NSW
Scientist of the Year
- Inventor of the Jameson Cell
worth $26 billion in exports
- 54 grants and $19 million+ funding
Laureate Professor Rob Sanson-Fisher
- Awarded Order of Australia
for service to improving public health outcomes
- 400+ peer-reviewed research papers
- 86 grants and $20 million+ funding
Laureate Professor Rob Sanson-FisherLaureate Professor Robert Sanson-Fisher is an internationally recognised cancer care and health behaviour expert. His latest ground-breaking research aims to reshape thinking surrounding death and chronic illness, so that end-of-life preparations are as thorough as preparing for the birth of a child.
We collaborate with industry.
We're solutions focused and we listen.
Associate Professor Sarah Johnson
- Awarded 2012 Australian Research Council Future Fellow
- Authored Iterative Error Correction
published by Cambridge University Press
- 16 grants, $2.9 million funding
Associate Professor Sarah JohnsonIn a digital age where information privacy is key, Associate Professor Sarah Johnson is developing next generation quantum key distribution (QKD) technology which has the potential to protect companies from espionage attacks and guard a country against cyber-terrorism.
Associate Professor Tristan Perez
- Key collaborations: Boeing, Australian Department of Defence
- Program Convenor
Bachelor of Engineering (Mechatronics) at UON
- 83 publications, 20 grants
and $7.5 million+ funding
Associate Professor Tristan PerezFrom the sea to the sky, Associate Professor Tristan Perez is working with government and industry to research and develop ground-breaking strategies for guidance, navigation, and motioncontrol for the next generation of Intelligent Autonomous Vehicles (IAV).
Professor Mark Jones
- Director: Centre for Bulk Solids and Particulate Technologies and TUNRA Bulk Solids
- Head of School
School of Engineering, University of Newcastle
- 45 grants, $9 million funding
Professor Mark JonesWith a global reputation as an authority on pneumatic conveying and bulk solids handling, Engineering Professor Mark Jones and his team have delivered more than 3,500 bulk solids handling projects for over 1,000 companies across 40 countries.
Professor Behdad Moghtaderi
- Key collaborations: Australian Federal Government, International Energy Agency
- 220+ jointly published papers and 5 patents
- 86 grants, $32 million+ funding
Professor Behdad MoghtaderiProfessor Behdad Moghtaderi is working with the Government and industry to solve global energy challenges through world-leading research in renewable energy and low emissions coal technologies. This will mean a cleaner environment – and save industry millions.
Delivering solutions for the
community - and the world.
Professor Clare Collins
Professor Clare CollinsNutrition and Dietetics Professor Clare Collins is breaking new ground with her innovative approach of translating complex diet quality data predicting the risk of disease and death, into web-based tools and practical healthy lifestyle programs that people of all ages can access.
Professor Phil Morgan
- Awarded 2012 Young Researcher
- Designed world-first Healthy Dads, Healthy Kids obesity prevention program
- 27 international and national academic awards and 41 grants
Professor Paul Dastoor
- Key collaborations:
Australian Federal Government, U.S. Air Force
- Solar Paint technology featured on ABC TV's
The New Inventors program
- 152 published papers, 103 grants
and $12 million funding