We know students need secure, affordable and comfortable accommodation when they are studying. You should book temporary accommodation for when you first arrive in Australia. Booking temporary accommodation will give you time to settle into Australia and university life. This is a good idea while you find a room or apartment for your permanent accommodation.
Temporary accommodation options include:
A homestay through our partner the Australian Homestay Network (AHN) is where a local family, couple or single person hosts you in their home and provides meals, internet access and a family environment. Staying in a homestay is a safe, welcoming and supportive option for students new to Australia and university life. You can view prices, details and apply for this here. You are also welcome to stay in Homestay as long as you like, or even make it your permanent accommodation.
When you are ready to find permanent accommodation, you can explore options for either on campus or off campus accommodation. Do research before you leave home but do not enter a private rental agreement before arrival in Australia.
There is on campus accommodation at the Callaghan campus in Newcastle. This can suit students at both Callaghan and Newcastle City campuses, as there is a free shuttle service between campuses.
There is also on campus accommodation at Ourimbah campus on the Central Coast. This can suit students at both Ourimbah and Gosford campuses, as there is a free shuttle between these campuses.
To apply for on-campus accommodation, please visit the Student Living Accommodation Portal.
You can also arrange your own off-campus accommodation. Leasing, or renting a room or home from a landlord is a common way to find accommodation that suits your needs. In Australia, this is commonly arranged through real estate agents. When you do this, you are a tenant, and you have rights and responsibilities under tenancy law.
Our off-campus accommodation page has tips and useful information to help you find permanent accommodation.
Homestay through our partner the Australian Homestay Network (AHN) is an option for permanent as well as temporary accommodation. A homestay is where a local family, couple or single person hosts you in their home and you negotiate for them to also provide certain meals, facilities such as internet access and a family environment. Staying in a homestay is a safe, welcoming and supportive option for students. You can view prices, details and apply for this here. You will negotiate the length of your stay in Homestay with your hosts. Some international students stay in homestay for their entire time in Australia.
- The distance between Callaghan and City Campus is approximately 10 kilometres. Accommodation is cheaper closer to Callaghan campus and there is a free shuttle bus into the city from Callaghan. However, living in the city has other advantages like easy access to beaches, shopping and entertainment.
- The Central Coast campuses Ourimbah and Gosford are 11km apart and there is a free shuttle between the campuses so living close to either campus is a good option.
- There are a lot of public transport options for accessing Sydney campus – you don’t need to live close to the campus to easily access it. The closest train station is Martin Place.
- Before making rental enquiries, visit Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service for further information and support. Read their starting a tenancy factsheet to learn about your tenant rights and responsibilities.
- Read Study NSW's accommodation page for advice and support especially for International Students in NSW.
Watch Insider Guides videos for advice:
Accommodation options for international students in AustraliaHow to find accommodation in Australia - International Student's Story
- Never pay money or sign any documents before you inspect property in person, inside and out. It is your responsibility to verify and agree to the condition of a room/property before entering into an agreement.
- Take a friend to inspections for a second opinion, but do not ask friends to secure accommodation on your behalf.
- All rental agreements must be on a standard NSW Residential Tenancy Agreement Form. If this is not the case, ask why. Contact the Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service to check that their response is valid under Tenancy law. Do this before agreeing to sign any alternate contract or agreement.
What Are The Accommodation Options For International Students in Australia?
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.