Visa and immigration

To study with us you must have a valid Australian visa. Student visas are temporary visas that allow people to come to Australia for a specified period to study at an Australian educational institution.

The Department of Home Affairs provides comprehensive information about the different categories of student visas and the process to apply for a visa. All visa applications are lodged and assessed by them.

We are approved to participate in the Australian Government Streamlined Visa Processing initiative. This helps you by making the visa application process quite simple. It reduces paperwork and the time it takes for your visa to be issued.

In general, you will need the below to apply for your student visa:

  • A valid passport which will be valid for the duration of your study in Australia.
  • A Confirmation of Enrolment document, also known as an eCOE. We will send you this after you have accepted your offer to study with us and paid any deposit fees.
  • Evidence of Overseas Student Health Cover – you can arrange this yourself, or we can do it for you with our preferred provider Allianz Global Assistance OSHC.
  • Funds to pay the fees and charges for your visa to the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs.
  • Medical checks or any other information that immigration request as part of your application.

Applying for a student visa can be a complicated process.

If you need help you can contact your nearest Australian Embassy, Consulate or High Commission.

You can also contact an official University of Newcastle, Australia representative education agent in your country who can help you with your application to study with us, as well as your visa.

Please note we cannot make representations to the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs with respect to visa applications or grievances of international students.

Visa fees and charges must be paid when you lodge your application with the Department of Home Affairs, and are non-refundable.

You can use DHA's pricing estimator to check the cost of your visa.

You should familiarise yourself with the visa conditions for student visa holders.

Some examples of conditions are:

  • You must update your Australian institution with your contact details and mailing address in Australia
  • Maintain enrolment as a full time student and maintain satisfactory academic progress in your studies
  • Keep on track to complete your studies within the duration of your student visa
  • Abide by work restrictions while you are studying

It is also important to note that once your student visa is issued, any change to your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) start date, your completion date, change of course or change of institution will be reported to the Department of Home Affairs, and could impact your student visa.

Most student visas holders can work in Australia up to 40 hours per fortnight during the study period, and unlimited hours during a formal study break or holiday period.

More information on work conditions for student visa holders.

Research sector visa holders

If you hold a research sector visa and you have commenced your Doctoral degree (PhD) there is no limit on the number of hours you can work. However, you must continue to make satisfactory progress in your research studies and pass important confirmation and progress report milestones.

If you have not turned 18 you must make arrangements for your accommodation, support and general welfare for the duration of your stay in Australia in order to obtain a student visa.

You will not be able to travel to Australia until your welfare and accommodation arrangements have been confirmed with us.

To maintain adequate arrangements for welfare in Australia you must stay with an appointed guardian such as:

  • Your parent or legal custodian
  • a direct relative who has been nominated by your parents or custodians who is aged over 21 and is of good character
  • reside in homestay accommodation and report to a parental representative for your general welfare, as arranged and approved by us.

These arrangements must be in place for the entire time you are under 18 years of age and you must not change them without our written approval.

The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.