What to do and bring
A checklist of things to do and bring before you leave home
- Passport and visa
- Check that your passport is valid for at least 6 months prior to your entry arrival in Australia, and that you have all your visa documentation. It is also a good idea to make copies of your passport in case you lose your passport.
- Arrange for immunisations and/or medication from your doctor. Have your eyes tested and a dental check-up.
- Student enrolment and orientation information
- You will need to bring your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE). You will be sent enrolment and orientation information from the International Office approximately one month prior to your commencement at the University.
- Personal documents
- Certified copies of your qualifications and certificates, ID cards, Drivers License, Birth Certificate (or certified copy).
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
- This is a requirement for entry to Australia, so make sure you have your health cover policy arranged before you leave home.
If you elect to use the University Health Cover Provider, your OSHC will be provided by Allianz Global Assistance. This will be detailed on your eCoE.
- Travel insurance
- You should also consider travel insurance, which covers things your OSHC may not – such as cancelled flights, lost documents, dental or optical care, etc.
- Make sure you are aware of the date and time of your flight. Keep your flight details in a safe and secure place, with your passport and visa.
- Contact details
- You may want to have a list of emergency contact details for family, as well as your embassy, accommodation and institution details. If you have used an education agent, keep their contact details on you, in case you need to contact them once you arrive in Australia.
- Activating your student account
- To make your transition in to study easier you can activate your University of Newcastle student account before you leave home.
- Australian currency
- There are money exchange places available at Australian airports and in cities, but it is recommended to have some Australian currency on you prior to leaving your home country. Confirm overseas access to your funds with your home bank. Apply for a credit card and/or arrange sufficient funds.
- Transport from the airport
- Whether you are taking public transport or a taxi, it is important that you have all the details of your journey including the time, the route, and your pick-up and drop-off points. If you need a map to assist you in getting to your accommodation from the airport, they will be available at the airport, or you can print one prior to leaving. Please note that unless otherwise specified, the University is not responsible for your transport from the airport.
- Accommodation details
- Make sure you have the address of where you will be staying as well as their phone number and payment confirmation (if you have already paid for your accommodation).
- Clothing and other important items
- Light, cool clothing for summer; weather proof jacket and warm clothing for winter months; power adapter and transformer; sun protection such as sunscreen, hat and sunglasses.
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.