Singapore Alumni Scholarship
03 March 2021
DonorSingapore Citizens and/or Permanent Residents who studied at the University of Newcastle and made a Donation to the Singapore Alumni Scholarship Fund.
The Singapore Alumni Scholarship was established in 2011 by a committee of Singapore Alumni, chaired by Dr Peter Tay. This Singapore Alumni Scholarship Committee initiated fund-raising from Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents who studied at the University of Newcastle. It is the intent that these scholarships be used to assist gifted students who are overcoming adversity to study at the University of Newcastle.
To be eligible for this scholarship, students must be academically gifted but are also facing hardship from factors such as being from a low socio-economic background, coming from a rural or remote area, living with disabilities, or carer and/or parenting responsibilities.
Donations for this Singapore Alumni Scholarship have come from Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents who are UON Alumni. These individuals take great pride in the achievements of Singapore and value their relationship with UON. They hope that this Scholarship will further strengthen the relationship between Singapore and Australia. The University of Newcastle expects beneficiaries of this Scholarship to respect the values and aspirations of those who have made this very generous donation.
The history of the Singapore Alumni Scholarships would not be complete without a special mention of UON alumnus and generous donor, Dr Peter Tay, who was instrumental in the establishment, governance and fundraising of the Singapore Alumni Scholarship Fund that supports these scholarships. Peter showed exceptional leadership with his peer-to-peer fundraising efforts and from 2011 until today, Peter has tirelessly rallied his fellow Singapore alumni from UON to donate towards the Fund. After three fund-raising campaigns, the Singapore Alumni Scholarship Fund needed A$170,000 to reach its target. Peter spearheaded a Golden Jubilee campaign, as part of the 50th anniversary of the University in 2015. That goal was achieved and surpassed, and the fund has now reached over A$500,000 and can support at least five students each year. Peter continues to consistently update his fellow Singapore Alumni on the Fund, showing them the impact that their donations is making to students in need.
This scholarship also includes the named CHIN Swui Sen for Singapore Alumni Scholarship for students in STEM or Business Studies.
Students applying for this scholarship should also consider applying for the Shaping Futures Scholarship.
Past recipients of the Singapore Alumni Scholarship may consider applying for the Catherine and Peter Tay for Singapore Alumni (follow on) Scholarship.
Applicable to all study levels and undergraduate programs, international and domestic students, equity, financial disadvantage, rural, regional, remote, Indigenous Australian.
For more information on this scholarship, please review the full Terms and Conditions.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in any year of an undergraduate degree program at the University of Newcastle.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate academic achievement or potential either by an ATAR of 75 or higher for commencing students, or GPA of 5.0 for continuing students.
- Demonstrate impact of personal circumstances, such as carer, sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition or effects of abuse, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- If successful, be willing to submit an essay of approximately 400 words on Singapore and one or more aspects of its people, economy, geography, history, culture, political system etc.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor-funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application reponses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
These scholarships are valued at $4000 each. These will be paid as a lump sum after the semester one census date.
Selection of the scholar/s will be on the basis of:
- Academic merit, namely Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent or cumulative GPA.
- Assessment of required written statement and any provided supporting documentation.
- Consideration for students in STEM and Business programs for the CHIN Swui Sen for Singapore Alumni Scholarship in STEM or Business studies.
- Interview by Selection Committee if required.
There is an essay requirement for the successful scholarship recipient.
The essay does not form part of the application or selection process, however applicants may choose to supply the essay with either their scholarship application or wait until notified they have been successful in winning the scholarship and supply it then.
The essay shall focus on the student's field of study, demonstrate analysis or critical thinking and be of an acceptable standard.
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Faculty of Science
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759