*Shaping Futures Scholarships
06 March 2020
The Shaping Futures Scholarship Fund was established in 2011 with the aim of helping those students who are most in need.
To be eligible for a Shaping Futures Scholarship students need to be managing their academic progress alongside personal circumstances such as:
- Carer responsibilities
- English language difficulty
- Financial hardship
- Long term medical condition/ disability or ongoing effects of abuse
- Regional or remote disadvantage
- Sole parent responsibilities
- Additional attributes such as Indigenous Australian or having Refugee status.
It is hoped that the Shaping Futures Scholarships will provide much needed support for students to continue to overcome adversity and maintain their achievements.
These scholarships are funded entirely by generous donations from alumni, donors, staff, businesses and the community, and funds are continually sought via the Shaping Futures Appeal.
Our named Shaping Futures Scholarships include:
- Archie and Phyllis McMillen Shaping Futures Scholarship in Teaching, Law or Science
- Castle Personnel Shaping Futures Disability Scholarship – Central Coast
- Castle Personnel Shaping Futures Disability Scholarship – Newcastle
- Duncan Cruickshank Shaping Futures Scholarship in Pharmacy
- Faculty of Education and Arts Staff Giving Shaping Futures Scholarship
- Gladys Tyrrell Shaping Futures Scholarship in Medicine
- Glen Avery Memorial Shaping Futures Scholarship
- Godfrey Tanner Shaping Futures Scholarship
- Ikara-Flinders Ranges Challenge Indigenous Shaping Futures Scholarship
- Janet Copley Women in Humanities and Social Sciences Shaping Futures Scholarship
- Larapinta Trail Challenge Shaping Futures Scholarships (5)
- LGBTQIA+ Shaping Futures Scholarship
- Professor Alan Roberts Shaping Futures Scholarship in Engineering (4)
- Cant Family Shaping Futures Scholarships in Engineering (4)
- Thomas Brewer Shaping Futures Medical Scholarship
- Val Clark Shaping Futures Scholarship in Social Work
For more information on this scholarship, please review the full Terms and Conditions.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in any year of an undergraduate degree program at the University of Newcastle.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate academic progress either by the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent required for entry for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.0 for continuing students.
- Demonstrate impact of personal circumstances, such as carer, sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition or effects of abuse, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor-funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application reponses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship provides a benefit of $4000 to be paid as a lump sum following selection and after Semester 1 census date (during April).
The actual number of scholarships awarded will vary according to the funding raised in each academic year. There were 58 scholarships available for 2019 and we hope for the same, if not more, in 2020.
Selection will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents. Applications will be ranked against the criteria and offers made to the applicants who best meet the eligibility criteria.
Students will need to indicate whether they are a resident in UON on-campus accommodation to be considered for the Student Living Shaping Futures Scholarships. At least one of these named scholarships will be offered to an eligible resident of Edwards Hall.
Interviews may be arranged if required.
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Faculty of Science
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759