* Shaping Futures Scholarships
28 February 2022
The Shaping Futures Scholarship Program was established in 2011 with the aim of helping those students who are most in need.
To be eligible for a Shaping Futures Scholarship students need to be managing their academic progress alongside personal circumstances such as:
- Carer responsibilities
- English language difficulty
- Financial hardship
- Long term medical condition/ disability or ongoing effects of abuse
- Regional or remote disadvantage
- Sole parent responsibilities
- Additional attributes such as Indigenous Australian or having Refugee status.
It is hoped that the Shaping Futures Scholarships will provide much needed support for students to continue to overcome adversity and maintain their achievements.
These scholarships are funded entirely by generous donations from alumni, donors, staff, businesses and the community, and funds are continually sought via the Shaping Futures Appeal.
This scholarship funds includes offers for the following named Shaping Futures Scholarships:
- A J Miller Shaping Futures Scholarship in Economics or Accounting
- Andrew Brown Shaping Futures Scholarship for Women in STEMM
- Andrew Brown Shaping Futures Scholarship in Mechanical Engineering
- Archie and Phyllis McMillan Shaping Futures Scholarship in Teaching, Law or Science
- Cant Family Shaping Futures Scholarship in Engineering (4)
- Central Coast Campus Union Shaping Futures Scholarships (5)
- Dr Michael Jonita Shaping Futures Scholarship in STEMM (2)
- Dr Peter Hendy Shaping Futures Scholarship for first year medicine (4)
- Gladys Tyrell Shaping Futures Scholarship in Medicine
- Glen Avery Memorial Shaping Futures Scholarship
- Godfrey Tanner Shaping Futures Scholarship
- Janet Copley Women in Humanities and Social Sciences Shaping Futures Scholarship
- Lachlan King Shaping Futures Scholarships (5)
- MacRae Neales Shaping Futures Scholarship for Indigenous Medical Students
- MacRae Neales Shaping Futures Scholarship for Medical Students (2)
- Professor Alan Roberts Shaping Futures Scholarship in Engineering
- Shaping Futures Indigenous Scholarships (4)
- Shaping Futures Scholarship in Science
- Student Central Shaping Futures Scholarship
- The Moray & Agnew Indigenous Shaping Futures Scholarship in Law
- The Claudia Sloan Shaping Futures Scholarship for Indigenous Students
- The Susan Phillipa Webb Shaping Futures Scholarship in Music
- Val Clark Shaping Futures Scholarship in Social Work.
Students applying for this scholarship should also consider applying for the Singapore Alumni Scholarship.
For more information on this scholarship, please review the full Terms and Conditions.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in any year of an undergraduate degree program at the University of Newcastle.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate academic progress either by the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent required for entry for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.0 for continuing students.
- Demonstrate impact of personal circumstances, such as carer, sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition or effects of abuse, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Be an Australian citizen, Australian Permanent Resident (includes New Zealand Permanent Residents).
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor-funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application responses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship provides a benefit of $4000 to be paid as a lump sum following selection and after Semester 1 census date (during April).
The number of scholarships available will increase as funds raised are confirmed for 2022.
Selection will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents. Applications will be ranked against the criteria and offers made to the applicants who best meet the eligibility criteria.
Students will need to indicate whether they are a resident in University of Newcastle on-campus accommodation to be considered for the Student Living Shaping Futures Scholarships. At least one of these named scholarships will be offered to an eligible resident of Edwards Hall.
Interviews may be arranged if required.
- College of Engineering Science and Environment
- College of Health Medicine and Wellbeing
- College of Human and Social Futures
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.