Singapore Alumni (follow on) Scholarship
03 March 2021
The Singapore Alumni Scholarship was established in 2011 by a committee of Singapore Alumni, chaired by Dr Peter Tay. Donations for the scholarship have come from Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents who are UON Alumni. These individuals take great pride in the achievements of Singapore and value their relationship with UON. In 2019 it was proposed that from 2020, the Singapore Alumni Scholarship Program be expanded to include provision for Singapore Alumni (follow on) Scholarships which will further support Singapore Alumni Scholarship recipients throughout their degree.
These scholarships will support gifted and disadvantaged students who have previously received a Singapore Alumni scholarship, have achieved good academic results and continue to cope with disadvantages while trying to complete their undergraduate degree.
Please apply if you are a previous recipient of a Singapore Alumni Scholarship. You are also encouraged to review the criteria for the Catherine and Peter Tay for Singapore Alumni (follow on) Scholarship.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a past recipient of the Singapore Alumni Scholarship.
- Be enrolled in any year of an undergraduate degree program at the University of Newcastle.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate impact of personal circumstances, such as carer, sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition or effects of abuse, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Demonstrate academic achievement by having a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 or higher in your current program.
- If successful, be willing to submit an essay of approximately 400 words on Singapore and one or more aspects of its people, economy, geography, history, culture, political system etc.
- Not be the recipient of another University of Newcastle donor-funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application responses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship currently provides a total benefit of $4,000 to be paid as a lump sum following Semester 1 census date.
Selection is based on assessment of the scholarship application and suitability for the individual scholarship.
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Faculty of Science
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759