Catherine and Peter Tay for Singapore Alumni (follow on) Scholarship
06 March 2020
DonorCatherine and Peter Tay Excellence Fund
This scholarship was established in 2018 by Catherine and Peter Tay from Singapore. It is a continuing demonstration of appreciation that 50 years earlier in 1968, Dr Peter Tay received his undergraduate education for a double degree in Industrial Engineering and Economics from the University of Newcastle through a Colombo Plan Scholarship from the Australian Government. That scholarship became a stepping stone in Peter's life-long achievements, and helped him to become what he is today.
After being fully involved in the establishment, governance and fundraising for the Singapore Alumni Scholarship since 2011, including chairing the Singapore Alumni Scholarship Committee, Peter has come to appreciate that there is a need to support gifted and disadvantaged students who were recipients of the Singapore Alumni Scholarship in a subsequent year as they continue to cope with those disadvantages while trying to complete their undergraduate degree with good academic results.
This scholarship is open to previous recipients of the Singapore Alumni Scholarship.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a past recipient of the Singapore Alumni Scholarship.
- Be enrolled in any year of an undergraduate degree program at the University of Newcastle.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate impact of personal circumstances, such as carer, sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition or effects of abuse, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Demonstrate academic achievement by having a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 or higher.
- If successful, be willing to submit an essay of approximately 400 words on Singapore and one or more aspects of its people, economy, geography, history, culture, political system etc.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application reponses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
This scholarship provides a benefit of $4000 to be paid as a lump sum following the semester 1 census date.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents.
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Faculty of Science
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759