Students and researchers in the Faculty have access to well equipped,state-of-the-art laboratories, workshops and studios with excellent technical support. Generous lecture theatres and tutorial rooms are found throughout the Faculty housed within award-winning, architecturally designed buildings.
The presence of various information technology-based disciplines within the Faculty contributes to a range of high level computing systems and expertise. A comprehensive array of software tools supports all aspects of teaching and research.
Success in attracting substantial research and equipment grants combined with close industry interaction has seen in an influx of modern technology and infrastructure into the Faculty.This includes a range of testing equipment and sophisticated instrumentation systems which are used both in research and specialist consulting, including some of the following items as listed below.
- a laser scanning conferral microscope
- state of the art laser Doppler and particle image velocimetry facilities
- a cone calorimeter
- GC mass spectrophotometer
- fully instrumented wind tunnels
- Instron and MTS universal testing machines
- mentor graphics simulation software
- a "strong floor" for full scale structural testing
- a structure testing bay
- artificial sky
- solar and urban scopes
- laser cutter
- a large, computer controlled router.