PhD and Research Masters
Do you want to take your career to the next level? Do you want to conduct research in an area of interest to you within the broad field of education? Enrol in a Master of Philosophy (MPhil) or Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) – and pay no tuition fees.
Stand out from the crowd with a PhD in Education
An MPhil or a PhD can open up opportunities in many areas: as a classroom teacher, a school leader, a system leader, a researcher, an academic preparing the next generation of teachers, a policy advisor or a policy analyst.
How much will it cost?
There are currently no tuition fees, and no HECS debt. Postgraduate research degrees are free for applicants who meet entry requirements.
- For international students, see our costs section.
Who can apply?
Even if you don't have an Honours or Masters degree, you can apply to undertake a Research Masters, and, depending on progress, transfer to a PhD after your first full-time year of study. Applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Applicants whose first language is not English are required to demonstrate meeting the University's English proficiency policy.
- See our eligibility section for more information.
Self-directed study seems like a daunting task. What support does the School provide?
Your MPhil or PhD journey will be enriched through a close relationship with a team of dedicated supervisors. In addition, our RHD Advantage Package means you will have access to the information and support you need. This includes:
- A detailed induction process to ensure your transition to postgraduate research is seamless
- Access to a wealth of resources
- An extensive program of workshops, seminars and courses that will enhance your research skills, enable you to connect with other students, and provide timely support at key moments of your candidature
- Awards and prizes celebrating graduate research achievements and contributions to our research culture.
- Provision of a workspace
- Access to funds for research related costs
- Opportunities to apply for conference grants
- Provision of professional learning workshops and opportunities to test and share ideas with fellow researchers.
- Full time PhD candidates in the School have access to $1500 per year for three years (or part time equivalent). Full time MPhil candidates have access to $1500 per year for two years (or part time equivalent).
- Through hosting regular professional learning workshops, fortnightly Staff and Students Talking about Research (SSTAR) Sessions, and biannual SSTAR conferences, candidates have many opportunities to test and share ideas with fellow researchers, prepare for confirmation and become engaged in national or international conferences.
Find A PhD or Research Masters program
Below you will find information on undertaking a PhD or Research Masters that is specific to each research area within the School of Education. This includes available supervisors, research methodologies, current graduate research and how to apply.
- Comparative and International Education
- Global Education Research and Teaching
- Historical Cultures and History Education
- Inclusive Education and Disability Studies
- Learning for the 21st Century
- Physical Activity and Nutrition
- Research Training and Transformational Knowledge
- Teachers and Teaching
Submit an Expression of Interest Form.