PhD and Research Masters
Why a PhD or Masters in the Faculty of Education and Arts?
The Faculty of Education and Arts (FEDUA) is the largest Faculty at the University of Newcastle. We offer a wide range of options for PhD and Masters by Research students from across the globe that provide innovative and leading edge education.
FEDUA was acknowledged in the latest QS World University Subject Rankings – where we were ranked in the top 200 universities in the World for Sociology, Linguistics, Education, and English Language and Literature.
Our Social Work, and Physical Activity and Nutrition research has been rated 'well above world standard' by the Australian Research Council (ARC) Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) rankings.
FEDUA Advantage Package
If you choose to join our cohort of graduate research students you will experience a rich intellectual environment that supports the development of our next generation of researchers through the FEDUA Advantage Package. This includes:
- a detailed induction process that helps make the transition to graduate research easier
- a rich program of workshops, seminars and courses that will enhance your research skills, enable you to connect with other students, and provide timely support at key moments in your candidature
- a lively program of awards and prizes celebrating graduate research achievements and contributions to our research culture
- access to resources tailored to FEDUA's diverse graduate research cohorts
Find a graduate research program
Below you will find information on undertaking a PhD or Masters by Research that is specific to each discipline within our Schools. This includes available supervisors, research methodologies, current graduate research and how to apply.
School of Creative Arts
School of Education
- Comparative and International Education
- Global Education Research and Teaching
- Historical Cultures and History Education
- Inclusive Education and Disability Studies
- Learning for the 21st Century
- Physical Activity and Nutrition
- Research Training and Transformational Knowledge
- Teachers and Teaching