School of Nursing and Midwifery
Study with us
Reasons to study with us
- Our School covers a large geographical footprint inclusive of three local health districts (Central Coast, Hunter New England and Mid North Coast Local Health Districts), private hospitals and aged care providers. This provides our students with a diverse range of opportunities to gain professional experience and engage in authentic learning in a variety of clinical settings.
- Our teaching excellence is informed by the School’s research, evidence-based information and is delivered by academic staff who use contemporary teaching and learning approaches, inspiring our nursing and midwifery students to be future leaders.
- Our program combines face-to-face interaction with academic experts and a virtual learning environment to support students with increased flexibility as they progress throughout the program.
- Our programs prepare you to become the next generation of Nursing and Midwifery Researchers through our Honours program.
- Our commitment to Indigenous students is strengthened by the recent appointment of Professor Rhonda Wilson, who identifies as Aboriginal, who also provides further support to our Indigenous students.
- From mid-2021, our School (subject to ANMAC approval) will have a presence at our brand new, state-of-the-art Central Coast campus. This offers us the opportunity to be co-located with Gosford Hospital and the Central Coast Clinical School and Research Institute (CCCSRI), providing a dynamic and cutting-edge learning environment.
- Our research is undertaken in a broad range of nursing, midwifery and health related areas in conjunction with our industry partners and frequently involves other Schools at the University to form multidisciplinary teams. These research opportunities can be gained through Honours, Masters and PhD studies under the supervision of the Professoriate and experienced academic staff.
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.